Join for free
Page 13 of 16 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2021, 11:31 AM

Re: e-Scooters

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
A change in our government policy - they are there to ensure that the problems do not happen in the first place! Ridiculous that we should need extra police or stupid drones. If they hadn't made foolish cuts in the first place we would not be in the situation we are in ref policing. But it's a lack of a cohesive society with no shared norms and no shared values that is a problem.

It's nuts to think that the solution is more control when the problems won't go away no matter how many drones you let loose. Just innocent people will be affected by mass surveillance and crime will just go up you will see. Crime is not reduced by drones but people are irritated and stressed by big brother cultures.

I honestly can't believe that people who say they hate religion because of control think this is all ok. Delusion of some sort of freedom through more surveillance? Where has that worked out?
Well, we all know who to thank for that, don't we?

Now we have an uphill struggle to attempt to undo the problems she has foist upon us. It's going to be a long, slow journey.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2021, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
You state that the lack of a cohesive society with shared norms is the problem. Why do you think that has happened over the relative recent past and how do you think it's possible to redress the problem?

The usual arguments on here tend to refer to lack of sufficient sentencing for offenders as well as allowing different minorities such as those caused by excessive immigration to rule the roost. Do you have alternative views and hence alternative solutions?

It seems pretty obvious that, like teacher/pupil ratios, there is a need for a police/member of society ratio which will vary the number of police required in accordance with population size (amongst many other parameters). This requires financing which, if the relative income and hence tax input per person drops due to eg increased expenditure on social welfare and pensions, is simply not viable.

So, if the relatively cheap method of using technology isn't the way forward, what is?

Of course nobody wants the invasion of privacy and big brother watching. But, unless you can reduce the number of criminals, there is no realistic alternative IMHO.
Hmmm. Let me think.
Where to obtain additional financing for more police?

- Stop foreign aid
- Cancel HS2
- Close the House of Frauds
- etc., etc.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-06-2021, 11:40 AM

Cracking down on e-scooters is happening in some places. It's not stopping people using them unofficially. Apparently you need a driving licence to use one. You're only allowed to use rented ones in areas that are trialing the mode of transport. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48106617
Thanks for dragging this back on topic, Anne!

I didn't know that you need a driving licence to use an e-scooter.
I suppose all the children who use them aren't aware of that either!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2021, 12:17 PM

A change in our government policy - they are there to ensure that the problems do not happen in the first place! Ridiculous that we should need extra police or stupid drones. If they hadn't made foolish cuts in the first place we would not be in the situation we are in ref policing. But it's a lack of a cohesive society with no shared norms and no shared values that is a problem.

It's nuts to think that the solution is more control when the problems won't go away no matter how many drones you let loose. Just innocent people will be affected by mass surveillance and crime will just go up you will see. Crime is not reduced by drones but people are irritated and stressed by big brother cultures.

I honestly can't believe that people who say they hate religion because of control think this is all ok. Delusion of some sort of freedom through more surveillance? Where has that worked out?

Annie, when the alternative to increased surveillance is a collapsed society then the choice becomes obvious. In any case most religions, especially Roman Catholicism is surveillance personified.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2021, 12:23 PM

My question to Annie is..if someone riding an escooter knocked you down, crashed into your car or mugged you, and the incident and indeed the criminal was seen and identified via a CCTV, would you insist that the police disregard it as evidence and let him go since they didn't use traditional methods to find him/her and build a case?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2021, 08:27 PM

what has that to do with drones?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2021, 08:33 PM

what has that to do with drones?
If you must.

Suppose the cctv was mounted on a drone.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2021, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
If you must.

Suppose the cctv was mounted on a drone.
When we have drones everywhere I will find a way to leave Britain. So I guess it wouldn't apply. I am concerned you feel comfortable about drones following you around but each to their own.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

27-06-2021, 10:14 PM

When we have drones everywhere I will find a way to leave Britain. So I guess it wouldn't apply. I am concerned you feel comfortable about drones following you around but each to their own.
Care to answer my question yet?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

27-06-2021, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by dextrous63 ->
my question to annie is..if someone riding an escooter knocked you down, crashed into your car or mugged you, and the incident and indeed the criminal was seen and identified via a cctv, would you insist that the police disregard it as evidence and let him go since they didn't use traditional methods to find him/her and build a case?

Page 13 of 16 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top