Join for free
Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2016, 03:47 PM

Re: Phony Meat

Everyone has choices.
veganchick
United Kingdom
veganchick is female  veganchick has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2016, 09:33 AM

The animals don't
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2016, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by veganchick ->
The animals don't
Worry not. After the great take-over, at least the pigs will be safe!
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2016, 12:15 PM

The animals don't
No they don't, but my comment was in response to you saying, in so many words, that you believe some people have no choice as to what they put into their bodies and also pretty much making the claim that eating meat is damaging to the health (which is not necessarily true).

So yes, people do have a choice of what foods to eat.

On the flipside, I've known meat-eaters who are perfectly healthy and vegetarians and vegans who are sick all the time. So when you say, in so many words, that eating meat can damage the health, can you say the same thing about the diets of a vegetarian who spends a good portion of his/her life visiting their doctor? Is food to blame there? Or could it possibly be other factors, such as genetics, poor health habits (not related to eating), lack of activity, lack of sleep, smoking, drinking, infectious diseases and even stress?

There are many reasons why someone might be in poor health and it's not always related to diet.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying vegetarian diets are bad. I love vegetables and I eat vegetarian meals and foods on a regular basis - not because I'm vegetarian, but because it's my choice to eat those things. I'd take a big beautiful salad over a burger any day of the week. Red meat has never appealed to me much. I eat more chicken and seafood than any other animal flesh, simply because it's my preference. And no, I'm not claiming that eating poultry and seafood is better than eating a cow or a pig. They're all living beings. But sometimes we eat according to how we were raised and even though red meat wasn't a normal thing in our house, my mom made a lot of chicken dishes. And to this day it's what I eat the most of.

Could I go vegetarian if I really wanted to? Of course I could. But I don't want to.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2016, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Another thread I'm not sure where to put.. But it is heath related.. I have been eliminating meat from my diet.. but I love hamburgers and meatballs in pasta sauce. Does anyone have a recipe for a vegetarian mixture that stays together and doesn't fall apart that can be shaped into patties or meatballs. The things I have been trying just crumble.. I have tried the SOY crumbles mixed with cooked brown rice with egg and breadcrumbs as a binder.. any other ideas?

But I think the crux of this thread is to really discuss if humans can be healthy on a vegetarian diet.. Can we get all the protein we need from plants, or are we meant to eat meat.. we DO have canine teeth afterall... and our appendix is a vestage of intestine the first humans used to digest raw meat.. Is it really smart to be vegan?

Being a vegan is not considered healthy, especially when it is inflicted on children. Humans are meat eaters biologically speaking, but everything in moderation of course.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2016, 03:15 PM

The animals don't
Nor should they. They should be killed as humanely as possible for human consumption.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2016, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Humans are meat eaters biologically speaking,
No. We are omnivores.

I hesitate to ask yet another unanswerable question, but do you have evidence that humans are carnivores?
Linda0818
USA

13-10-2016, 04:24 PM

Actually, from what I've read, early cavemen ate mostly fish and game birds like quail and duck, as well as plants, fruits, nuts and seeds. Vegetables as we know them today aren't what they were back then, but they ate what would be considered vegetables as well. When they were able to catch an animal, however, they ate every part of it and utilized their hides for warm clothing, blankets, etc.

The modern human wastes much of the animal, although you have your people out there who will eat the organ meat as well as the feet, brains and tongues of many animals. Even the eyeballs of a lamb are considered a delicacy to some folks in certain parts of the world.

But the cavemen - who have long been depicted as these savage hunters, killing any animal they can find - is supposedly (again, this is just what I've read) an inaccurate portrait. But, like JBR said in so many words, it would be impossible to know the exact diet of beings who lived thousands, even millions, of years ago.

Whatever the case, I feel people should eat the way they want to eat.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2016, 07:08 PM

I went vegan for the animals but the Enviroment and out of concern for the worlds hungry.
Vegetarians and vegans have always intrigued me. Never understood the case they try to make.

Perhaps you can enlighten me Veganchick.

You say you went vegan for the animals.

Can I ask, how difficult have you found it applying that to the rest of your life?

Where do you get your shoes from for example? Have you found a sofa that doesn't exploit animals? Do you wear string instead of a leather belt etc?

personally I would find it very difficult if not impossible to work through everything and cut out all the things that involve the exploitation of animals.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

13-10-2016, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Vegetarians and vegans have always intrigued me. Never understood the case they try to make.

Perhaps you can enlighten me Veganchick.

You say you went vegan for the animals.

Can I ask, how difficult have you found it applying that to the rest of your life?

Where do you get your shoes from for example? Have you found a sofa that doesn't exploit animals? Do you wear string instead of a leather belt etc?

personally I would find it very difficult if not impossible to work through everything and cut out all the things that involve the exploitation of animals.
Well, it's all plastic these days, isn't it?

At least for vegans.

(I thought Vegans were an alien race. I'm sure I've heard them mentioned on Star Trek, anyway.)

Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top