Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2013, 10:21 AM

Re: Water costs more than Electricity!

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
There's absolutely no need; we are well informed about Norway apart from being the home of the Norwegian Blue Parrot.

Things like this that give such a false impression, you are more likely to get a punch on the nose here from a girl than to get sex, they are tough cookies, and dont suffer sex crazed men .
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2013, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
Things like this that give such a false impression, you are more likely to get a punch on the nose here from a girl than to get sex, they are tough cookies, and dont suffer sex crazed men .
Damn, I 'll cancel my ticket then

I was surprised to read about how expensive your electricity was; I would have assumed it was hydro and hence cheap like Sweden (was?).

My Swedish sister in law used to leave the lights on day and night (which drove me up the wall) because in Sweden the power was cheaper than the cost of replacing the light bulb which failed quicker if it was turned off and on. Mind you this was in the 70s when I lived in London perhaps things have changed.

Your monthly electricity bill is similar to my quarterly electric bill inspite of the massive price rises we have suffered over the last few years but your wages appear to be similar.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2013, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Elbee ->
Southern Water increased their waste water charges by nearly 11% in April 2012 and Ofwat just let them do it.

In April 2009 the rise was 6.4%; April 2010 it was 3.9% and April 2011 another 6.45%.
Since 2009, Southern Water's the waste water charge has been increased by a massive 33%.
Ofwat shoukld do what they are supposed to and regulate prices properly.

Southern Water are owned by a consortium made up of pension and infrastructure funds.
They obviously believe the lightl touch "regulated" company continues to offer an ongoing investment opportunity at the expense of British householders!

In contrast, Portsmouth Water has the lowest water charges in England and Wales and they have not increased their water supply charges since April 2009.
It is a same they don't do the waste water too!

My total water bill is £438 in 2012, more than my electricity bill of £411.
Are you on a meter? My metered water bill was £163.08 for 2012.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2013, 10:55 PM

Electricity is Cheap, the problem is the maintenance of the grid system , most of it is over mountains or through Forests, across fjords, over not under, so those costs are horrendous, winter snow can bring cables down , also high winds bring trees down which in turn bring the cables down, so someone has to go possibly up a mountain to repair, or in a Forest, there first move the trees. We had this problem even at our level winter 2011/12 when we had a Hurricane. That brought just on our land 20 , 80 foot conifers down, which had to be cut and pulled out. i did a lot of the cutting and at times was wading in 4 feet of snow and sometimes through the snow into a hole which i had to have help to get out of. Sorry if going on but just trying to give an idea of what iy entails to keep the supply going. At that time we were without Power for 4 days including Christmas and boxing day, BUT ! we all did get compensation, we got around £200. so not bad
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2013, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
At that time we were without Power for 4 days including Christmas and boxing day, BUT ! we all did get compensation, we got around £200. so not bad
At least you didn't have to worry about the food in the fridge and freezer going off.
Norway
i

22-02-2013, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
At least you didn't have to worry about the food in the fridge and freezer going off.
No thats true, which leads me to when we were having the house built, we lived for 8 months in a one room hut, and as a lot of the time was through the winter, if we bought frozen stuff we would dig a hole in the snow and put it in there, it kept perfectly well.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top