Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 02:26 PM

Re: Remember HS2? Boris approves HS3!

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
For a change Bread, l am in disagreement with you!
Firstly, your statement that a high speed link causes towns and
industries to grow along its route because of the advantage of
having a high speed link to markets does not make sense to
me as for a high speed system to exist or function it requires
that the vehicle or train does not have to keep stopping or
starting etc as this neccasarily involves large losses of speed
and also involves much higher energy costs as a result!
Imo, all the positive talk we hear, is just that! And is only
used to motivate the powers that be to spend money!
I am more in favour of electrifying and general upgrading
the existing system! Which should not require the participation
of large, international consortiums, but could possibly be
handled by local private companies in collusion with BR
in house bengineers?

Regards Donkeyman!
By employing existing and experienced "consortia" there is an immediate benefit of bringing in efficiency resulting from the benefit of scale and skills learned in the provision of high speed systems elsewhere.

My experience of having to deal with British so-called engineering skills is very far from good. Incompetence, arrogance, poor quality at all levels, late deliveries to mention just a few.

The existing rail network is crap and is a cliché but it's probably one of the best cases of it being impossible to polish a turd.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Each case of JIT is necessarily different. The Toyota model is a classic and food distribution by Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, and others illustrate other example of savings that are made.

Keep in mind that goods being marshalled is a time sensitive loss, goods in transit are a time sensitive loss, goods held in inventory are a time sensitive loss, finished goods are a time sensitive loss as are finished goods in transit to customer is a time sensitive loss (unless payment is made based on some form of fob) and time of inventory to point of sale is a time sensitive loss.

Reducing transit time is always a real winner and even more so if the goods are perishable or a limited life.

Then there is the enabling spin off that rapid efficient transit links provide. Lousy or slow transit links do not attract new enterprises to a place, in fact are a big time put-off when business investment is concerned. Fast transport links are the precise opposite.

Overall the High Speed links are an exceptionally great investment for this country.
Lean production, that's a blast from the past, its funny to this day, a company advocating JIT, Kanban etc,etc, working from Bills of Resource with inaccuracies all over the place, I still believe the company I worked for did not want to hammer down on these issues because many managers would have been jobless sooner that later.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 02:36 PM

HS2 is about breaking the Home Counties bubble, nothing more nothing less.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 03:08 PM

Each case of JIT is necessarily different. The Toyota model is a classic and food distribution by Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, and others illustrate other example of savings that are made.

Keep in mind that goods being marshalled is a time sensitive loss, goods in transit are a time sensitive loss, goods held in inventory are a time sensitive loss, finished goods are a time sensitive loss as are finished goods in transit to customer is a time sensitive loss (unless payment is made based on some form of fob) and time of inventory to point of sale is a time sensitive loss.

Reducing transit time is always a real winner and even more so if the goods are perishable or a limited life.

Then there is the enabling spin off that rapid efficient transit links provide. Lousy or slow transit links do not attract new enterprises to a place, in fact are a big time put-off when business investment is concerned. Fast transport links are the precise opposite.

Overall the High Speed links are an exceptionally great investment for this country.
Even if it made a significant difference to lead times (which i don't agree would be achieved with such a tiny marginal difference) there would be no savings given the higher cost of transportation. It will take decades for the project to payback. Cost to users will be at premium rates. It will be a white elephant.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
For a change Bread, l am in disagreement with you!
Firstly, your statement that a high speed link causes towns and
industries to grow along its route because of the advantage of
having a high speed link to markets does not make sense to
me as for a high speed system to exist or function it requires
that the vehicle or train does not have to keep stopping or
starting etc as this neccasarily involves large losses of speed
and also involves much higher energy costs as a result!
Imo, all the positive talk we hear, is just that! And is only
used to motivate the powers that be to spend money!
I am more in favour of electrifying and general upgrading
the existing system! Which should not require the participation
of large, international consortiums, but could possibly be
handled by local private companies in collusion with BR
in house bengineers?

Regards Donkeyman!

Sorry, I should have clarified.

A new train route will encourage growth of towns jobs etc. It's not just freight either - if someone living in London commutes 1 hour a day by tube/overground rail or could get to the same place from outside London in the same time, then HS2 would mean they have the choice of moving out from London to less densely populated areas with new schools, hospitals etc.

A lot of our railways are still from the Victorian era so at some point will need replacing anyway. HS2 allows us to do this in our own time rather than out of necessity because the lines are no longer safe to use. With a link such as HS2, making it as quick as possible is the smart thing to do, so that trains in the next 50 - 100 years (or whatever it is) can benefit from the investment we make now rather than reinvesting in the future.

The problem with HS2 is the enormous cost - I agree that this is way to high, but if we can use the private sector after Brexit to invest back into the HS2 routes then we can start claiming some of that public sector investment back.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Even if it made a significant difference to lead times (which i don't agree would be achieved with such a tiny marginal difference) there would be no savings given the higher cost of transportation. It will take decades for the project to payback. Cost to users will be at premium rates. It will be a white elephant.
Well there ya go! I'm just basing what I say on a very great deal of working and being successful in industry.

First as an engineer (a real one, a chartered member of 'my' institute) followed by following the money and becoming an industrial whore.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 03:30 PM

Well there ya go! I'm just basing what I say on a very great deal of working and being successful in industry.

First as an engineer (a real one, a chartered member of 'my' institute) followed by following the money and becoming an industrial whore.
If you need to justify your points with such a comment then you have a weak argument. I am also a member of my own chartered professional body but why the heck should our qualifications and experience be relevant to the thread?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

29-07-2019, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
If you need to justify your points with such a comment then you have a weak argument. I am also a member of my own chartered professional body but why the heck should our qualifications and experience be relevant to the thread?
Maybe to validate my knowledge of program management and planning?

One of us needs to make an effort to prove they know what they're on about and not just rattling their cyber-dentures.)

Just love that bit saying that experience is irrelevant when the effect on logistics is at the heart of part of justifying HS-x.

That bit would make a cat laugh!
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2019, 05:00 PM

I have known lots of charted engineers who weren’t worth a can of cold tea.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

29-07-2019, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
I have known lots of charted engineers who weren’t worth a can of cold tea.
Me fer one buddy! I read the runes, moved onto the management career stream, became an industrial whore - and never looked back!

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top