Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 06:11 PM

Re: They are taking over, even traditional whisky!

There are many different single grain malt whiskies each with their distinctive tastes and strengths from Islay, Speyside, Highlands and Orkney. Most are matured in oak casks for a minimum of 3 years but usually much longer. Only barley is allowed with many distilleries using peaty smoke in malting process. Blended whiskies would be much easier to copy as different grains are allowed. As has been mentioned Japan has been making their own brands of whisky.
Many Scottish distilleries are now making gin.
https://scotchwhisky.com/magazine/fe...es-making-gin/
I should add many of the distilleries are owned by foreign companies like Diageo and Pernod.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by harbal ->
if china's buying of the distillery is a bad thing, shouldn't some of the blame go to whoever sold it to them?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 11:25 PM

I'll stick to poteen!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Not all Scots whiskies have peat in their manufacture, neither do most whiskies use barrels that have had their insides charred with fire to give a smoky taste. This is usually the method employed by the Islay distillers. Some of the better whiskies are matured in Sherry casks to give them that extra sweetness.

What is important is the choice of malt at the brewing stage and the cleanness of the water - most whiskies are made using fresh water from natural springs. If the Chinese can't get these two simple ingredients right, the project is doomed to failure. Another thing to consider is the ageing process in barrels - an unwritten law is that in order to be declared a whisky, a minimum of three years ageing is required.

Japanese whiskies are very good and regularly win prizes - just too damned dear. A bog-standard blended whisky is around £30, and prices are from £45 to £70 for single malts. Now, I'm a whisky fan, but there's no way I'd pay that sort of money for a bottle.
I used to buy Laphroaig single malt (10 year old) for around £30 at the supermarket. I thought that was quite good value really.

Mind you, I now buy dark rum from Aldi for £10!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 11:54 PM

Used to take school children round the distillery in Pitlochry when we ran residentials up there. Always an enjoyable experience.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Used to take school children round the distillery in Pitlochry when we ran residentials up there. Always an enjoyable experience.

There was a young girl from Pitlochry ----.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
There was a young girl from Pitlochry ----.
Tempted as one is to ask you to elaborate, I think I'll avoid doing so on this occasion!!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 11:00 AM

Tempted as one is to ask you to elaborate, I think I'll avoid doing so on this occasion!!
Probably best. Anyway there's always Google ---
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

17-07-2021, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Probably best. Anyway there's always Google ---
Having followed your advice, probably best to leave it on google and not drag it over here!!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2021, 04:37 PM

Having followed your advice, probably best to leave it on google and not drag it over here!!
I can't think of a word to rhyme with Pitlochry.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top