Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 11:18 PM

Re: Badger

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Why does everyone blame badgers for spreading TB, but never mention foxes, rats and deer can have it too - as well as us humans.
Do they go round with Terriers and shooting humans who have it too?

Pity about the little hedgehogs, but I guess it is the law of nature. The badgers have got to eat and feed their families just as anything else does.

After all, are we caught and shot for killing little lambs, chickens, young piglets, and calves?

It is sad Dex, but I'm afraid humans are guilty too.
All no doubt true Mups. I'm basing my badmouthing badgers based on Christoper Booker's (now deceased) columns in the Sunday Telegraph years ago, and the recent (excellent) Clarkson's Farm which is available on Amazon Prime but not yet on DVD
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 11:28 PM

A local groundsman who looks after a playing field said, badgers are wrecking the playing field.
He said, there’s a huge fine for killing a badger as they are a protected species.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
A local groundsman who looks after a playing field said, badgers are wrecking the playing field.
He said, there’s a huge fine for killing a badger as they are a protected species.
A friend of mine had badgers visiting his garden every evening, I saw them quite a few times and very interesting they are to watch but only if you are very quiet. Apparently they have regular 'routes' and will keep to them whatever happens. The houses there were built close to and partly in a small wood, badgers lived there too. My friend's garden seemed to be part of their 'regular route'. Him and his wife used to feed them but whenever they didn't, if they were away for instance, the badgers wrecked the garden, which became a real problem. Nothing could be done to stop this as they are 'a protected species'. In the end they left of their own accord, probably when not fed as regularly, but were then in other gardens in that small estate.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwe...ls/badgers/law
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 07:08 AM

Well said Mups !
Sorry I should have used the quote .
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I would be honoured if badgers visited my garden.
Really? Then you're not aware of the facts!

Badgers will dig up your garden. The damage they do if they visit on a regular basis can mean you won't have a lawn - that will look like a ploughed field. That's the damage you face if you live close to a badger sett or a run............which sadly I do. I've tried everything to block up access into my garden but it would many thousands to have badger proof fencing. You can buy a product which kills the grubs the badgers are finding under your lawn (they look like huge white and yellow prawns), but that needs soaking the lawn every day for a month - and there's no guarantee it will work.

I have now solved the problem - I have an electric fence! It covers some, but not all of the lawn and is on a timer. When it's on it emits a high pitch noise, which keeps the badgers away. I bought all the components separately - total less than £100. It's wonderful - beats having to repair the grass every day and looking at a wrecked garden - and having badgers trying to get in through my cat flap at night or tearing down my fences to get out of the garden.

Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 11:36 AM

Clarkson said that he hated badgers since they reminded him of teenagers. They stay in be all day, come out at night, eat all the hedgehogs and make a complete mess before going back to bed in the morning.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Everyone blame badgers for spreading TB, but never mention foxes, rats and deer can have it too - as well as us humans.
Do they go round with Terriers and shooting humans incase we spread it too? Perhaps we should be hunted and punished for spreading Covid too.

Pity about the little hedgehogs, but I guess it is the law of nature. The badgers have got to eat and feed their families just as anything else does.

After all, are we caught and shot for killing and eating lambs, chickens, young piglets, and calves?

It is sad Dex, but I'm afraid humans are guilty too.
We have a badger set AND hedgehogs and they live quite happily together. Apart from cars rats are the worst predators where hedgehogs are concerned. Badgers do not like rats other than as a snack.
Chillie6
Bristol UK
Chillie6 is male  Chillie6 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 11:46 AM

Had badgers in our garden a few years back.
You could hear them crashing through the hedges. We used to be able to stand by our back door quietly and watch the.

I managed to get a quick photo of them but was difficult as they didn’t stay put long.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	F0A643EA-7805-4D14-B8E7-B986F088D33A.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	16350   Click image for larger version

Name:	B9FDE8E0-8569-4CEE-B372-01E74FC99D6E.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	16351  
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2021, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
this is mine. Every home should have one

AKA Post hole borer.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top