Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 06:33 PM

Does It Matter?

Online, in forums such as this one, is it important to be honest about yourself? Is there any harm in claiming to be richer than you really are, or in saying you are good at something when you are not? After all, most of us will never actually meet each other out in the real world, so the truth is unlikely to come out.

Perhaps making inflated claims about our status enhances our personal well being; particularly if we feel insignificant in our every day lives. Maybe lying about our qualities and achievements has a positive benefit if we perceive it to increase the respect we get from others.

Does it matter if we tell a few fibs?
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 06:36 PM

Re: Does It Matter?

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
Online, in forums such as this one, is it important to be honest about yourself? Is there any harm in claiming to be richer than you really are, or in saying you are good at something when you are not? After all, most of us will never actually meet each other out in the real world, so the truth is unlikely to come out.

Perhaps making inflated claims about our status enhances our personal well being; particularly if we feel insignificant in our every day lives. Maybe lying about our qualities and achievements has a positive benefit if we perceive it to increase the respect we get from others.

Does it matter if we tell a few fibs?
But why would we bother to tell fibs? As long as we retain our anonymity why would we bother to tell lies?
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
But why would we bother to tell fibs? As long as we retain our anonymity why would we bother to tell lies?
I don't know, Lindyloo, but people do.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 06:44 PM

you have to have a good memory to be a good fibber. It's easier to be who you are and tell the truth. Personally I have no wish for people to think I am bigger or better than the next person, I'm not even afraid to admit I'm a bit dizzy at times, well, I am blonde yanno oh, that's the truth by the way, well, to some degree anyway, I'm a sunkissed dyed mucky blonde really colour
macywack
north west, england
macywack is male  macywack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 06:46 PM

sounds as though you have "sussed" a few harbol
Harbal
South Yorkshire

27-07-2021, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
you have to have a good memory to be a good fibber. It's easier to be who you are and tell the truth. Personally I have no wish for people to think I am bigger or better than the next person, I'm not even afraid to admit I'm a bit dizzy at times, well, I am blonde yanno oh, that's the truth by the way, well, to some degree anyway, I'm a sunkissed dyed mucky blonde really colour
I don't doubt for one moment that your hair is almost the colour you say it is, LQ.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

27-07-2021, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by macywack ->
sounds as though you have "sussed" a few harbol
No one in particular, macy, but it does happen.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 06:54 PM

I don’t believe one can fake qualities on a forum.

As for status and achievements, I have none, well, I did pass my driving test I guess that’s an achievement, not much else to be honest.

In fairness I think it’s how one sees an achievement, I think I see it differently to quite a few.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 06:55 PM

The fibbers always get sussed out eventually. As LQ says, they need a good memory to remember all the lies they have spouted.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2021, 07:04 PM

As I was telling Batman the other day whilst high-fiving my alien-robot-monkey-butler, I never lie online.

He thought I was lying so I got into a fight with him and the rest of the Justice League.

In the end, they decided I was too cool, smart, funny and beautiful for them to be able to defeat me. True story...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top