Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 11:11 PM

Re: Is your car E10 petrol-ready?

Something else to worry about
I have had one tank of petrol since last February so will fill my car up again and be ok for another year

According to that list my 2007 Ford Fiesta is ok.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Like others, I was unaware of this change.

I assume that cars for which the new E10 petrol is compatible can still use E5 petrol perfectly safely.
The article doesn't mention this, of course.

If both are suitable for our car, I shall use whichever of the two is cheaper also bearing in mind that (according to the article) the E5 fuel provides slightly higher mileage than the E10.

I'm also not sure how the fuel pumps' colours indicate E5 and E10, though I assume that it will be written on them somewhere.
Indeed they can, which is why I have said that E5 petrol will continue to be sold for a while once E10 is introduced.

There will undoubtedly be publicity when the new fuel launches in the UK but pumps will look something like this:
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 10:50 AM

Hi

DIESEL AND i HAVE LOADS OF IT.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

DIESEL AND i HAVE LOADS OF IT.
Apparently, the forecourts have put their diesel prices up higher than petrol.
So sell yours and undercut the forecourts.
You'll make a killing.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Apparently, the forecourts have put their diesel prices up higher than petrol.
So sell yours and undercut the forecourts.
You'll make a killing.
Diesel is almost always more expensive than petrol in the UK.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Further to my post #17 yesterday the price of diesel is £123.9 the same as yesterday, unleaded though is now £118.9, a 3p increase. Almost the same comment as yesterday though – someone, somewhere is playing around with the fuel / oil prices!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Yes, you're perfectly correct. My apologies.

Although diesel is slightly more expensive than petrol, when you consider cost per mile, diesel comes out cheaper.

Of course, I wouldn't have a diesel car now because we don't drive enough to make it worthwhile. I worked out that it would cost us a lot more overall - maintenance and replacement parts, for example - if we had bought a diesel car.
Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2021, 08:18 AM

I'm a bit surprised or maybe I shouldn't that E10 is being introduced in the UK only now. I've been using it exclusively for 15 years now for my new 2006 Toyota Corolla Verso and my new 2011 Toyota Verso and was in fact one of the first who used it and had no qualms about it although some usually older men (except my brother) thought they should warn me.
It's correct that it's up to the driver what to use, either E5 or E10, provided the car is not too old and is listed. The stuff is a bit cheaper but it provides slightly lower mileage or so at least they say. Could also be a myth. Needless to say that I've never had any problems because I use it.
I liked taking the Mickey out of the sceptics who didn't use it. After I had traded in my first Verso for the next model I told some of them that I'd have got 1500 quid more from the dealer if I hadn't used E10. These guys didn't want to know how the dealer could have found this out assuming that I wouldn't have told him. No, they were just so pleased that their decision not to use E10 seemed to be confirmed by that information. "Didn't I tell you...". Their faces fell when I told them that that was a joke.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2021, 04:43 AM

As pointed out E10 has been around for years here in NSW because ethanol is produced in the state by Manildra. However most, but not all, service stations still sell unleaded which is about 2c a litre dearer.

I never use E10 in any small engines such as my mower or generator because the ethanol has an affinity for water if it is not used for a while (likewise if you own a boat)

My last car (Mitsubishi Colt) ran very happily on E10.

BTW our standard octane value is 91 which is low by European standards, you can buy 95 and 98 but why would you if your car runs fine on the 91? My current car is a diesel so it is all academic to me except as I mentioned for my generators and mower.

Thats a bit of an old picture as I am paying about 109.9c a litre for diesel at the moment.
Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 10:23 AM

For those who'd welcome more arguments for not using E10, I just read a study this morning saying that bioethanol is likely to damage the fuel vapour restraint system of a car. This activated charcoal filter will have to be inspected regularly and be replaced at 80,000 miles. Prices starting at 30 quid.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top