Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 12:57 PM

Labour says brexit is done!

Brexit is done. Long live Brexit. The long election weekend started badly for*Keir Starmer*and Labour, and got worse from there, as the aftershocks of the 2016 referendum decision continued to reverberate through the English electorate.
Under Starmer, the party has sought to move on from Brexit. This, it seems, is not yet something English voters are willing to do. In seat after seat in Leave-voting parts of England, the Conservatives surged and Labour slumped. Leave voters, it seems, remain keen to reward the prime minister who “got Brexit done”.

Labour wants to move on from Brexit, but English voters just won’t let them
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-wont-let-them

The Labour Party is finding people who “invested” in the sunny uplands of brexit are unwilling to believe the benefits promised won’t appear. So just like problem gamblers, they will keep faith until a reckoning happens. Until then, they will await the big win, to pay off all the emotion and financial support they have given. No one wants to look like they have been taken for a fool.

While the old class divides have reversed, the post-Brexit education divide has intensified. There were major swings to the Conservatives in the wards with the highest shares of voters with few or no formal qualifications, while there were modest swings to Labour in the wards with the largest concentrations of university graduates.*
Well, as john stuart mill said:
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative."
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2021, 11:04 PM

Re: Labour says brexit is done!

Judging from the intermediate results we can state:

- only small ("teething") problems in trade,
- many new trading agreements being made,
- no border jams of lorries,
- vaccination running well,
- B. Johnson winning elections,
- Labour losing

I think Brexit is running much better than expected, right?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2021, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by 7779311 ->
Judging from the intermediate results we can state:

- Labour losing

I think Brexit is running much better than expected, right?
That depends on what you define as brexit.

Because the EU provided for a well described procedure for members to exit (article 50), a simple lettre by the pm was sufficient. That didn't prevent the british from prolonging the normal period from 2 years to a full four years before they accepted a withdrawal agreement (WA).
After they left there was a period to adapt to the new situation, till 1 january 2021. Plus it provided time for negotiating a trade deal.

Those negotiations were put under duress by boris because he excluded any extension of the transition period. Luckily the resulting deal (TCA) was very much in favour of the EU, as was to be expected because the EU had the better negotiators and held all the cards (the UK needed the EU more than the EU needed the UK).

So brexit took a long time, but in the end it got done.

What you are listing now is the UK performances post brexit.

No, 60% of british firms are still reporting problems with brexit

No, just one, with japan. Not counting roll over agreements and business agreements

Of course not. Most lorries return empty, french customs was prepared for rules now applicable for the new third country brutain.
Imports are letting past without checks by british customs, grace periods on that are unilaterally extended, in breach of an international treaty. But it does prove brexit helped the UK in getting back control of its borders.

Not brexit related. The UK determined its approach in july, during the transition period when EU rules were applicable. Those rules didn't prevent this choice, nor did they stop the UK from employing its approach in december. When still in the transition period.

- Labour losing
Brexit, leaving the EU, was voted for by labour adherents too. The Labour Party is finding people who “invested” in the sunny uplands of brexit are unwilling to believe the benefits promised won’t appear. So just like problem gamblers, they will keep faith until a reckoning happens.
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2021, 06:44 PM

Oh I should have added that I find it suspicious how silent the media are.

Unless I am mistaken you have to look very carefully for negative Brexit news.
For example this one about British immigrants being refused jabs in Spain: https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/bre...egraph-7961718
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

10-05-2021, 06:56 PM

Oh I should have added that I find it suspicious how silent the media are.

Unless I am mistaken you have to look very carefully for negative Brexit news.
For example this one about British immigrants being refused jabs in Spain: https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/bre...egraph-7961718
I wonder whether this is brexit related. If other illegal immigrants are also not vaccinated, then the spaniards don't discriminate between illegals, whether they are brits or not. If only british illegals are not vaccinated, then I would suspect a link with brexit.
Germany

10-05-2021, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
I wonder whether this is brexit related. If other illegal immigrants are also not vaccinated, then the spaniards don't discriminate between illegals, whether they are brits or not. If only british illegals are not vaccinated, then I would suspect a link with brexit.
Well at least the clearing of "who is legal/illegal" happens because we are talking about a third country not. With FOM this would not have happened I guess.

However this is one of the very small problems that exist since or due to Brexit.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

10-05-2021, 07:09 PM

Well at least the clearing of "who is legal/illegal" happens because we are talking about a third country not. With FOM this would not have happened I guess.

However this is one of the very small problems that exist since or due to Brexit.
Yep, it is minor, and not clever if true. Imagine those non vaccinated persons getting infected by covid. They could spread the disease. It seems advisable to keep them isolated as much as possible from the locals, especially the young ones.
Germany

10-05-2021, 07:19 PM

Yep, it is minor, and not clever if true. Imagine those non vaccinated persons getting infected by covid. They could spread the disease. It seems advisable to keep them isolated as much as possible from the locals, especially the young ones.
Yes, and the risk could exist for up to 90 days until the individuals have to leave Spain again.

But of cause everyone in his right mind would hurry home to the UK asap to be vaccinated there, as the vaccination programme runs so successful back home.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2021, 08:07 AM

Brexit is done. Long live Brexit. The long election weekend started badly for*Keir Starmer*and Labour, and got worse from there, as the aftershocks of the 2016 referendum decision continued to reverberate through the English electorate.
Under Starmer, the party has sought to move on from Brexit. This, it seems, is not yet something English voters are willing to do. In seat after seat in Leave-voting parts of England, the Conservatives surged and Labour slumped. Leave voters, it seems, remain keen to reward the prime minister who “got Brexit done”.

Labour wants to move on from Brexit, but English voters just won’t let them
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-wont-let-them

The Labour Party is finding people who “invested” in the sunny uplands of brexit are unwilling to believe the benefits promised won’t appear. So just like problem gamblers, they will keep faith until a reckoning happens. Until then, they will await the big win, to pay off all the emotion and financial support they have given. No one wants to look like they have been taken for a fool.

While the old class divides have reversed, the post-Brexit education divide has intensified. There were major swings to the Conservatives in the wards with the highest shares of voters with few or no formal qualifications, while there were modest swings to Labour in the wards with the largest concentrations of university graduates.*
Well, as john stuart mill said:
"I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid; I meant, that stupid persons are generally Conservative."
Yes Brexit has had a profound effect on Uk voting demographics with any traditional working class Labour voters voting on the basis of their Brexit stance with an emphasis on immigration and many traditional Conservative voters moving to the Greens and Liberal Democrat’s in areas of high academic achievement.

Labour are lost in a dichotomy between the xenophobic working class outside of the cities and the multicultural working / middle class in the cities
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

11-05-2021, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
Labour are lost in a dichotomy between the xenophobic working class outside of the cities and the multicultural working / middle class in the cities
In your opinion, labour could take a stance against brexit without fear of calling part of their voters 'stupid' and losing their support/vote? As this forum has shown, xenophobia is very much present among the middle class, not only working class? The distinction between classes nowadays is more fluid than say 40 years ago.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top