Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2021, 03:34 PM

Re: Labour says brexit is done!

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
In your opinion, labour could take a stance against brexit without fear of calling part of their voters 'stupid' and losing their support/vote? As this forum has shown, xenophobia is very much present among the middle class, not only working class? The distinction between classes nowadays is more fluid than say 40 years ago.
I agree, however xenophobia is present in other fora too as I found.

Interesting is that there were also findings of Prof. Dorling (Univ. Oxford) who found a high correlation between Brexit votes and a very low percentage of foreign citizens in the corresponding areas.

In East Germany they found (years ago) that most people who shouted "foreigners out" lived in communities with immigrants of less than 2%.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2021, 06:42 PM

Re: Labour says brexit is done!

Originally Posted by 7779311 ->
I agree, however xenophobia is present in other fora too as I found.

Interesting is that there were also findings of Prof. Dorling (Univ. Oxford) who found a high correlation between Brexit votes and a very low percentage of foreign citizens in the corresponding areas.

In East Germany they found (years ago) that most people who shouted "foreigners out" lived in communities with immigrants of less than 2%.
A high correlation doesn't necessarely mean causal relation. But as we know the leave voters were present in all walks of life, it would make a hostile environment for foreigners. It is at least a possible, even probable, explanation.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top