Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2021, 01:22 AM

Re: River god

Originally Posted by eccles ->
It seems not everyone is enchanted - just read a few reviews!

I don’t usually advocate the burning of books, but in this guy’s case I’ll make an exception. He has some of the worst, turgid, cliché ridden prose in the English language. This guy must have a cliché macro programmed into his computer. “Oooh! I need a cliché. What one shall I use? I think I’ll use F7.” I do not know how this guy got published, not even once but multiple times. If you come across a book written by this guy take it to a safe place douse it in gasoline and set fire to it.
Cliché you say ? I challenge you to find cliché /triteness within the pages of River God.

I doubt that you have read River God and are merely repeating some slanderous review of some recent book which has been co-authored by a lesser talent.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2021, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Cliché you say ? I challenge you to find cliché /triteness within the pages of River God.

I doubt that you have read River God and are merely repeating some slanderous review of some recent book which has been co-authored by a lesser talent.
I've read River God probably four times since it was published. It is a good book, but not one of his best and it is littered with repeated descriptions and phrases from his other books. His first couple of books were the best, but then again the first efforts often are. I don't read the reviews as I have got to know his works inside out over the years.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2021, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I've read River God probably four times since it was published. It is a good book, but not one of his best and it is littered with repeated descriptions and phrases from his other books. His first couple of books were the best, but then again the first efforts often are. I don't read the reviews as I have got to know his works inside out over the years.

You may be correct. I, however, love River God because I love any and all stories of ancient Egypt. Not only that, but I fell in love with Lady Lostris. What man could possibly resist her charms ?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2021, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
You may be correct. I, however, love River God because I love any and all stories of ancient Egypt. Not only that, but I fell in love with Lady Lostris. What man could possibly resist her charms ?
The majority of his female characters are like that - different times, different places, but all similar women. You are right though. I love the historical fiction of his writings - particularly African and the Northern areas of that part of the world. A lot of historical story telling is very close to the truth I think, particularly in relation to Africa's, past and the more present history. Problem is it has got so very "samey" to me and I have moved away from his writing as I sense it is not what it used to be artistically and wonder if it is really all his own work now or just a money making machine half created by others working on his books.

PS. Did you read Sunbird (that's a good one).
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2021, 07:48 PM

You wonder why he would need more money as he is mega rich already . I like his books and have read nearly all of them but I don’t think I would like him if I met him .
He strikes me as a very difficult man .
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 04:49 AM

Wilbur Smith's best novel by far, in my view, is Elephant Song - a towering masterpiece.

Smith in his later years has created an academy, I believe, to assist and promote young aspiring writers - hence the recent co-authored publications.

What I most admire about Smith is his research into his subject matter, making his books so much more enjoyable.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

21-06-2021, 06:10 PM

Just a bit of added interest. Here is a bit of an autobiography by Wilbur Smith - hope it is of interest.

https://www.wilbursmithbooks.com/meet-wilbur
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Just a bit of added interest. Here is a bit of an autobiography by Wilbur Smith - hope it is of interest.

https://www.wilbursmithbooks.com/meet-wilbur
A very interesting read. Thank you for posting.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2021, 11:09 PM

He writes great books but they do make your arms ache, they are so thick.
PooBear
United Kingdom

22-06-2021, 12:10 AM

I bought myself a small lectern type stand. Much easier.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top