Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 01:07 PM

Petrol Gauges

The last few times I have put petrol in my car, the needle showing on the guage of the dash hasn't moved. It does not go up as the tank fills, nor when I've finished.

This is odd, it always behaved until recently, and it is also a nuisance because I don't know how much petrol I've got in there.

What could be causing this, is it sludge in the tank, and is it an expensive problem to sort out does anyone know please?

It's a Fiat.

Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 01:13 PM

Re: Petrol Gauges

Can’t help there Mups, sensor or the gauge? One of the petrol heads on here will advise.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
Can’t help there Mups, sensor or the gauge? One of the petrol heads on here will advise.

OK, thanks anyway, Vlad. x
I will wait and see if anyone has any bright ideas.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 02:01 PM

Hi Mups. Maybe tap the gauge gently just in case the needle has stuck. Or possibly get a strong young man to rock the car side to side. Get out first of course.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 02:27 PM

I always make a habit of resetting the mileage trip meter to zero on filling the tank, that way I know roughly the miles I have done whatever happens. At 58mpg and knowing both the tank capacity and how much fuel was purchased, it's easy enough to work out how much fuel has been used and fill up when required.

I don't know the modern cars any more, computers on wheels nowadays, too much like my laptop. At a guess it's possibly a faulty sensor or it could be a loose connection.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 02:37 PM

Probably a problem with the sender in the fuel tank Mups. Sometimes these are easy to get at through the boot floor, and sometimes it means removing the fuel tank, but I've no idea on cost you would have to ask at the garage.

However, if you aren't bothered about it too much you could just fill the tank each time you put petrol in and keep a note of the mileage using the tripometer to give you an idea how much you have used, a couple of times doing this after around two hundred miles should give you a good idea of your average mpg, if you don't know already.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 03:49 PM

I agree, the sender sounds like the problem or the float is stuck inside the tank. Not normally a difficult job to fit a new one.

In one of my old cars, my petrol gauge would actual go UP whilst I was driving. That turned out to be a loose wire from the sender, touching the bodywork.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 03:53 PM

Most cars manufactured in the past 20 or so years have a delayed fuel gauge to stop any needle bounce from the fuel slopping around the tank while driving. If yours does not move after say around 3 to 5 mins after filling, then I would suggest your sender unit in the tank needs removing and checking or replacing after the wiring/grounding had been checked.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 05:25 PM

best let a garage replace the sender, easy enough to do the only problem is making sure the gasket is sealing the sender to the tank properly or you will get petrol fumes in the car. Unit should cost around £25/30 plus fitting so not an over expensive item to replace.
Done that job a few times in the past it is the petol fumes that get you
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 05:59 PM

What fiat model is it mups..?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top