Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 12:07 AM

Re: Are You On A Pacemaker?

I have a Biotronic pacemaker and defibrillator combined implanted. Done in 2018. No probs so far. I was in and out of the lab in a few hours. The cardio team were awesome. I felt like a F1 car in a pit stop.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 02:02 AM

Hi

Nope, my particular condition is inoperable.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Nope, my particular condition is inoperable.
May i ask the condition SF?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Do you need to have a pacemaker sly old grey fox?
Not if I can help it Minx....I resist most kinds of medication believing that the human body is such a remarkable thing, and there is usually a natural solution. But when life gets intolerable it is sometimes necessary to resort to modern methods, but I have seen far too many friends and loved ones perish on the path of excessive medication.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I have a Biotronic pacemaker and defibrillator combined implanted. Done in 2018. No probs so far. I was in and out of the lab in a few hours. The cardio team were awesome. I felt like a F1 car in a pit stop.

I had a good laugh at that Keezoy! Sub 2 seconds pit shop!
Did you go for Hard, Mediums or Soft
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Not if I can help it Minx....I resist most kinds of medication believing that the human body is such a remarkable thing, and there is usually a natural solution. But when life gets intolerable it is sometimes necessary to resort to modern methods, but I have seen far too many friends and loved ones perish on the path of excessive medication.
A pacemaker isn’t actually medication though
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 10:21 AM

I don't know. I haven't been assessed yet, but I have a feeling that they're likely to try medication first before sticking in a pacemaker.

Others here, more experienced, will know I'm sure.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Yes, they put it in your chest, close to your heart & it wires into the ventricles.

Once it's in, you are stitched up and tested every year, or so. They test you via a big magnet, laid on your chest & connected to their PCs.

(They always laughingly tell me that they can tell the dates when I got excited during the year.!)

It keeps your heart beat at 72 (in my case).

Some people are tachy/brachy (apologies for any spelling), which means low beat but with spikes.

The spikes get controlled by medication as the pacemaker seems only able to speed us up.

So you didn’t have invasive surgery when fitted, it must be on the outside of your rib cage?

It wouldn’t be anywhere near your heart inside that rib cage
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 10:46 AM

It’s a type of medication, because it’s regulating the heart, or when the heart rate drops to a dangerous level.
It kicks in, more like a device I guess..
Just an opinion of mine.which isn’t fact.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2021, 10:53 AM

There are 3 processes, which were gone through, to get to the point of installing the device.

1) The wearing of a tracking monitor, for, If I remember correctly, a month. That gives them as recording of all that is going on in there.

2) Going in to have an Ablation.

"Ablation, also known as catheter ablation, is a treatment that aims to correct certain types of abnormal heart rhythms by blocking electrical pathways in the heart. It uses either heat (radiofrequency ablation) or freezing (cryoablation) on the area of your heart that's causing the abnormal heart rhythm (or arrhythmia)."

In short, they insert a probe, via a vein, and have a close look at the tentacles, etc, which provide us with a heartbeat. I was told that by changing electrical connections around (in the heart) a correct heartbeat can, sometimes be re-established. I watched this going on, via a massive screen, in the room, and it was very fascinating!

It didn't provide the fix, in my case.

3) If the heart cannot be relied upon to hit the right beat, they put this little electrical device in, probably at a later date, just under the skin, and connect it where the connections need to be (in the heart).
The device usually has 3 wires (early models only had 2).
That's the battery powered pacemaker.
No scars, you can poke around to feel if it's still there.

Any medics, in this Forum, please feel free to correct anything I've put in here.

Over 10 years it may have changed a lot.

I have to wonder how many of those extra years were because of this device, or might I have lived on anyway!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top