Join for free
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 11:13 PM

American Exceptionalism and Donald Trump

American exceptionalism is a term I only heard on the news tonight. Donald Trump was being interviewed about Putin and the interviewer said "Putin's a killer". Trump replied “We’ve got a lot of killers. What, do you think our country’s so innocent?”

This is reported as contradicting the idea of "American exceptionalism", which seems to mean that the US is a special nation that is above fault because of it's adherence to democracy, liberty and commitment to being "the land of the free and the home of the brave".

So do you think Trump has let the USA down by saying the USA has faults and has committed crimes or will he gain the respect of the World by saying "mea culpa"?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 11:19 PM

Re: American Exceptionalism and Donald Trump

Realism?
Cam
USA
Cam is female  Cam has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2017, 11:26 PM

I make a point of disregarding what Trump says or tweets (his preferred method of communication.) Why? Because 99.9% of his utterances are ignorant, ill or uninformed, silly, untruthful and hateful. And they emanate from a narcissistic personality which is unhinged at best...deeply disturbed, most likely.

I realize what he says is significant at home and abroad, but to me he is a traitor and a despicable human being. He "let the USA down" the moment he chose to run for the Presidency.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 10:44 AM

He has put America's snowflakes in an awkward position by admitting what they have been saying for years. In the 80's they were all banging on about Russians being 'people too'. Now that he wants to get cosy with Russia, they are complaining about it.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Realism?
I agree, I've said before I am not a Trump fan but I find some of his non PC comments quite refreshing. He has not yet been indoctrinated by the system into political speak, long may it last.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2017, 11:09 AM

Realism as has been said it's quite refreshing really.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top