Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 09:04 AM

Re: Does anyone eat much Red Meat These Days!

Depending upon which cuts of beef I choose, the price of beef here in both Mexico and in the U.S. is reasonably cheap. Ground beef, what you folks call minced, is aprox $ 6 USD/kilo

Rib-eyes run about $15 USD/kilo

Chicken is so cheap that it is almost free. 4 nice plump chicken thighs cost aprox $1.50 A whole chicken $4 USD.

Pork loin (for roasting) about $7 USD/kilo.

Tonight I bought enough stew meat to make 2 large meals, cost almost $2 USD
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 09:25 AM

We eat mostly chicken and salmon throughout the Spring and Summer. Occasionally we have beef for stews and cottage pie during the winter.

I don’t eat lamb or pork at all.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 09:48 AM

... a little strange the brits don't stew pork: we do!

the shoulder, onion, garlic, paprika, tomato paste, herbs and (as in med countries) a few slices of chorizo is packed with flavour.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 10:16 AM

I am fond of pork too.

Chicken is as cheap as chips as lamb used to be but alas the latter is nearly as expensive as beef. Gone are the days when you could buy half a lamb for $10 and the butcher would cut it up for you for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
... a little strange the brits don't stew pork: we do!

the shoulder, onion, garlic, paprika, tomato paste, herbs and (as in med countries) a few slices of chorizo is packed with flavour.
That sounds nice d00d, I only ever seem to buy boneless loin pork chops which I usually use for making Snitchzels or Chinese Pork dishes. It has to be years since I last bought a cut of pork such as shoulder. In fact I would go as far as to say that it was when Littlewood was open and they used to have delicatessen counters where I bought shoulder bacon rashers, Lovely lean slices, almost as nice as a gammon slice but a lot cheaper at the time. Crikey, how long ago was that!! I just can't seem to like Pork joints, they don't have any sort of delicious taste like Lamb or Beef..
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
OMG Tiffany, I have never paid that much for a joint of beef in my life! I now remind myself of how like my lovely late dad used to be. When we used to take him out for a meal at a local restaurant he would always make a point of looking at the prices on the menu and would grumble about how many decent meals he could make for himself for the whole week with the cost of one steak in the restaurant! We always used to laugh about it, but now I find I am slowly turning into him and his view about the cost!!!!
It was a very large joint of beef, farm bought locally & fed all 4 of us for three days. I did blanch at the price I must admit, but I had agreed to buy our Christmas dinner. Mind you if I'd cooked it instead of Daughters Partner, it would have shriveled up so much it would only have fed one of us one day.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
You and me both Vlad....I can't wait until that garden centre opens for meals again. Yep! Sunday wouldn't be the same without beef and a glass of red.......Stick on some Yorkshires for good measure.....
You are God OGF a man amongst men, a gourmet, an epicure, you sir are a Pieman, a Beefeater.
God bless you Sir and all that eat with you.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 11:39 AM

I know how you feel Tiffany. I am a''season well, add the herbs and cook on a very low heat in foil for hours and then turn the heat up, open up the foil and let it crisp up on the outside for the last 30 minutes!'' woman, because when I used to cook Lamb or Beef, it was the best way I knew to ensure the joint was never overcooked and came out perfectly, medium with a slight tinge of pink. (that's just the way we have always liked our joint). I did contemplate using my slow cooker once, but at the price of the joints of meat, I was too nervous to do it in case it was a disaster.

Still, I don't have to worry about that nowadays as I never buy it!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I know how you feel Tiffany. I am a''season well, add the herbs and cook on a very low heat in foil for hours and then turn the heat up, open up the foil and let it crisp up on the outside for the last 30 minutes!'' woman, because when I used to cook Lamb or Beef, it was the best way I knew to ensure the joint was never overcooked and came out perfectly, medium with a slight tinge of pink. (that's just the way we have always liked our joint). I did contemplate using my slow cooker once, but at the price of the joints of meat, I was too nervous to do it in case it was a disaster.

Still, I don't have to worry about that nowadays as I never buy it!
I won't again.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
You are God OGF a man amongst men, a gourmet, an epicure, you sir are a Pieman, a Beefeater.
God bless you Sir and all that eat with you.
Thanks Vlad, I shall raise a glass to you in about two hours time when my pork loins are cooked to perfection under the watchful eye of Mrs Fox....(she always cooks on Sundays..)

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top