Join for free
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2019, 02:02 PM

Benefits of EU membership?

Can anybody tell me what the benefits are please?The only ones l hear are firstly access to the common market . And then freedom of movement. Can anyone enlighten me further? On the access to market point it is unfortunate that UK currently run a trade deficit of around ninety billion pounds,so l see no benefit there.Plus we also have to pay a further not clear amount of about thirty billion for the privilege of running this deficit.On the free movement point , events in Europe recently speak for themselves.Any other ' benifits'? Anyone. Donkeyman.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2019, 02:36 PM

Re: Benefits of EU membership?

Cheap labour pushing down wages in UK seems popular benefit to the big businesses.

They were also talking earlier on the radio about pet pass ports apparently dogs will no longer be able to travel as easily if we leave. Again I am told that's a benefit. Not to me but to others I guess.

Our politicians have been able to coast along untested for length of time we've been in EU too I guess that's a benefit as they have proved to be unfit for purpose since we voted to leave.

I think it depends who you are as to what you consider to be a benefit. I can't see many if any apply to me personally.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2019, 02:40 PM

Straight cucumbers
Underpowered vacuum cleaners
Inadequate toilet flushes
Shitty Light bulbs
Weights that no one understands

The list goes on.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2019, 02:41 PM

Nope, as someone living North of the capital, Bubbleland, we have never seen any benefit in belonging to this undemocratic EU cartel, other than as a money teat for them to feed off. The only ones crying are the city rich who have gained much and who now stand to be the biggest losers when we hopefully, finally cut the chains, (hence their tears and constant slurs)

ROLL ON 29TH MARCH 2019

Yes, there will still be bullets flying at us once we leave, and there are those that will still delight in making our British lives hell, but again, who the hell will care? Leavers certainly won't! we will do what we have always done, put our heads down, work hard, a free country again, and tell the EU, who will be at the head of the queue in making our lives as difficult as possible once we are unshackled from them - to get stuffed!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2019, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Nope, as someone living North of the capital, Bubbleland, we have never seen any benefit in belonging to this undemocratic EU cartel, other than as a money teat for them to feed off. The only ones crying are the city rich who have gained much and who now stand to be the biggest losers when we hopefully, finally cut the chains, (hence their tears and constant slurs)

ROLL ON 29TH MARCH 2019

Yes, there will still be bullets flying at us once we leave, and there are those that will still delight in making our British lives hell, but again, who the hell will care? Leavers certainly won't! we will do what we have always done, put our heads down, work hard, a free country again, and tell the EU, who will be at the head of the queue in making our lives as difficult as possible once we are unshackled from them - to get stuffed!
The way we have been treated by our European friends just goes to prove what they really think of us. As you say, it was all about the money. Plus we have our own little shit heads like BLair who has also shown his utter contempt for democracy.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2019, 03:15 PM

You get to pay 13 billion a year for something Singapore and Canada get for free
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2019, 03:28 PM

But having no borders in the EU it’s main advantage is migrants crooks criminals terrorists can easily move around and make their way to the uk where once here our silly judicial system backed by the European court of everyone has the right to do whatever they wish in the uk means they will never be returned but instead will be housed , fed , given free medical care, legal aid and everything and anything else they care to ask for. Try getting that benifit in Russia Saudi Iran or wherever ... nope the EU without doubt works for ANYONE not from the EU

It’s also a godsend to countries like Poland as no unemployment, housing crisis, NHS problems there ... all the uninsured cars are in the uk too so safer roads in Europe ... all in all the EU is a great success to anyone who enjoys the free ride
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2019, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
You get to pay 13 billion a year for something Singapore and Canada get for free
Hi

Nope, we get access to the single market, which includes services, our biggest export.

The others with whom the EU has Free Trade Deals, do not.

The only exceptions to this are the EEA and Switzerland, both of which deals we have ruled out.

The only benefit to remaining in the EU is financial.

As shropshiregirl has said, these benefits are concentrated, they have not been shared across everyone.

The downsides of the EU, the latest one being a proposal for the EU to set tax rates in every member country, far outweigh the benefits of staying in.
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2019, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Can anybody tell me what the benefits are please?The only ones l hear are firstly access to the common market . And then freedom of movement. Can anyone enlighten me further? On the access to market point it is unfortunate that UK currently run a trade deficit of around ninety billion pounds,so l see no benefit there.Plus we also have to pay a further not clear amount of about thirty billion for the privilege of running this deficit.On the free movement point , events in Europe recently speak for themselves.Any other ' benifits'? Anyone. Donkeyman.
Seems to me from your post that your mind is already made up regardless of the benefits of membership.

Along with the others who have answered your post.

The UK does not have a trade deficit with the EU although they do have one with most of the member countries.

The largest trade deficit is with Germany. In 2016 the UK imported £75 billion in goods and services from Germany, and sold £49 billion. Although the UK has a trade deficit with Germany, France and the Netherlands3, they are the second, third and fourth most important destinations for UK exports.3 Jan 2018

I reckon that with a little bit of research you could have found out all you need to know.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2019, 05:37 PM

The CBI sums it up nicely

http://www.cbi.org.uk/insight-and-an...utweigh-costs/

And here a positive aspect to migrant workers

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.i...506.html%3famp

And here’s a view from a small business perspective

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.f...d-09f7778e7377

The OP question it a bit monty Pythonesque as in “what did the Romans ever do for us”

The answer is a lot more than you think

Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top