Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2019, 11:10 PM

Re: Google and Facebook in London

OGF I am not sure what the BBC "spew out" because I don't follow much of it, but much of our wealth comes from the financial sector and not from social media firms who avoid tax and employ few. Nice that they are here and all, but still not sure of the relevance.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2019, 12:50 AM

What exactly do Facebook and Google produce that is going to improve the British economy? Some jobs, yes, but surely they are just there to export capital to the USA.

If a manufacturer sets up base there that is a different matter.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2019, 12:54 AM

They provide some employment Bruce and pay someone who needs to sell office space. They make Brexit voters feel better.

What capital do they export to the US?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2019, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
They provide some employment Bruce and pay someone who needs to sell office space. They make Brexit voters feel better.

What capital do they export to the US?
All the $billions they make from advertising. They are also very skilled tax avoiders.

I think Facebook alone made US$4billion in one quarter in Europe (relying on memory here so might be out a bit)
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

10-02-2019, 01:10 AM

tax avoiders do well here if they are billionaire multinationals.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2019, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
A lot of what the BBC spew out is not relevant to Brexit Annie, but they somehow manage to find a connection, and are quick to mention any business that packs up and leaves this green and pleasant land.
Yep this is the point. The diversionary tactics of our EU apologists above is simply drivel.

The Remoaner predictions with their incessant Project Fear and Project Hysteria BS were that companies would leave the UK and go setup in EU countries.

The fact that giants like Facebook and Google have set up shop here completely refutes the Remoaner hogwash.

It doesn't matter what Facebook and Google contribute to the economy here, the fact is they are happy to BE here rather than setting up outside the UK. Therefore they too clearly don't believe the Remoaner propaganda.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2019, 06:04 AM

Hi

I am pleased by both.

What I am not happy about is the statement that the Tax they pay does not matter.

It matters a lot, Tax is what pays for the NHS and our State Pensions.

It is simple Maths, those Financial Companies leaving pay far more in Tax than Facebook and Google.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2019, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Why do you use these free services ?
Apart from google on my iPhone if I want to search a topic, I don’t use Facebook and have never bought from amazon. I used to occasionally use eBay but haven’t for some years now

These companies earn lots and contribute little as to some other multinationals in other fields

One yesr I paid more corporation tax than one of the big coffee chains because they offset tax by supposed franchise fees to an office located in a more tax advantageous country
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2019, 09:11 AM

Google are moving to Leeds too...I'm not sure how many jobs it will create but quite a few. There was nothing about it on the National news but it got a bit of coverage locally.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2019, 09:49 AM

While we're on the subject of tax.
Won't all the employees from the new jobs created take people off the dole and turn them into tax payers? Double whammy!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top