Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2017, 07:18 PM

Re: Looks like we're getting out just in time

I am afraid I lose patience with people who move to another country for a better life, and then expect their own country to do what they want. If they wanted to have a say here, perhaps they should have stayed and used their vote....... but there is still no guarantee, if you are not on the same side as the majority vote! It's called Democracy!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2017, 07:34 PM

Hi

To my mind the greatest thing we have is Democracy.

It is not often that we get the chance to use it properly, but this time we have.

For decades we had the choice of voting for one part or the other of the PoliticaL Elite.

The Referendum was when we ignored them all, it has shocked them.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2017, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It is not often that we get the chance to use it properly, but this time we have.

For decades we had the choice of voting for one part or the other of the PoliticaL Elite.

You are right Swim, lets hope it has opened their eyes to that fact the they are our servants, so should do as we want, not what they think is best!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2017, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Indeed.

I believe that we should have more referenda, certainly for the more important issues.

It works for Switzerland, anyway.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2017, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Indeed.

I believe that we should have more referenda, certainly for the more important issues.

It works for Switzerland, anyway.
Be careful what you wish for...My late brother in law was Swiss.
He complained they had a referendum over there every time anyone sneezed!

It makes for very slow progress...Do you know when Swiss women finally got the vote???? 1971!!!!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2017, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Be careful what you wish for...My late brother in law was Swiss.
He complained they had a referendum over there every time anyone sneezed!

It makes for very slow progress...Do you know when Swiss women finally got the vote???? 1971!!!!
Well I think it's worth it.

When our government wishes to pass a law it is discussed at length in the Commons, then at length in the Lords, then more than likely in the Commons again.

You call that quick progress?

And more to the point, when do the public get a say? Once every five years?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top