Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Maureenn
New Member!
East Yorkshire UK
Maureenn is female 

12-03-2017, 01:28 PM

I'd like some answers about Brexit

Hope sombody out there knows the answers to these questions
Once Article 50 is activated and PM does not attend any more meetings does the UK have to abide by any new laws for the next 2 years?
If the UK still has to hand over contributions for the next 2 years why is the PM not allowed to take part?
Are MEPs still going to be allowed to take part in the European Parliament?
Just wondering!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 01:52 PM

Re: I'd like some answers about Brexit

Once Article 50 is activated and PM does not attend any more meetings does the UK have to abide by any new laws for the next 2 years?
If the UK still has to hand over contributions for the next 2 years why is the PM not allowed to take part?
Just wondering!
Hello Maureen as I see it we are still part of the EU and will remain so two years from the point when the declaration of article 50 is made so as we will still be part of things any new laws will still affect us .
We will also continue to hand over our contributions because we are still a part of the EU and the MEPs will continue to attend the parliament of which we are still part.

As to the PM attending meetings , I guess it is deemed her presence would not be appropriate during the negations where proposals for our leaving may be discussed among the heads of state .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Maureenn ->
Just wondering!
Hi

Article 50 is unknown Territory, no Country has done it before.

The way things seem to be are this.

Until we actually leave we have to continue paying in and have to abide by any new laws.

We can scrap those laws on the day we actually leave.

Our PM will be able to attend and vote on any decisions made by the EU, except when they directly relate to the UK leaving.

We are the outsiders as soon as we send the Brexit letter.

Our MEPs will be able to attend meetings and vote until the day we actually leave.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hello Maureen as I see it we are still part of the EU and will remain so two years from the point when the declaration of article 50 is made so as we will still be part of things any new laws will still affect us .
As I understand it, the two years following the triggering of Article 50 is a maximum. It is quite possible that we will actually leave the EU before that time if it is decided that we are not going to achieve anything.

Of course, it is quite likely that somebody who knows more than I do will correct my misunderstandings.

As for following new EU laws, I'm sure we will because we are what we are what we are. Other countries seem to have the freedom to do whatever they want.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
As I understand it, the two years following the triggering of Article 50 is a maximum. It is quite possible that we will actually leave the EU before that time if it is decided that we are not going to achieve anything.

Of course, it is quite likely that somebody who knows more than I do will correct my misunderstandings.

As for following new EU laws, I'm sure we will because we are what we are what we are. Other countries seem to have the freedom to do whatever they want.
I think you may be right JB I don't anticipating our making our escape in under 2 years though...
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 02:53 PM

Hi

I have no idea at all about how this will go.

The problem, to my mind at least, is that it will be dealt with Politicians, not known for their commonsense.

I would be much happier if our Businessmen were in Direct Negotiation with EU Businessmen.

Commonsense would prevail and a good deal for both parties.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
.... I would be much happier if our Businessmen were in Direct Negotiation with EU Businessmen.

Commonsense would prevail and a good deal for both parties.
Are you sure ?
Non-elected, profit-driven business people - answerable to nobody ?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Are you sure ?
....or the sort of MPs who run public activities like the Health Service, Taxation. National Insurance, need I go on?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

12-03-2017, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Are you sure ?
Hi

Yes Pummy, totally.

Maybe you have better politicians then we have.

One of my neighbours is a businessman, biggest local employer by far.

His business is exporting chilled agricultural produce to the EU, his waggons do not come back empty, they have German sausage and Dutch Cheese and Flowers in them.

He would like to continue totally free trade, as would his Dutch and German partners.

That to me is just commonsense.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2017, 11:45 PM

Look, I realize that pollie-bashing is one of the world's favourite sports.
And often with justification.

Just not sure that leaving a country's international policy in the hands of global, self-interest, profit-driven powerbrokers is the way to go.
Which do we reckon will come first - The Corporation or the country ?

At least there is a semblance of oversight and public scrutiny at the political level - Freedom of Information, investigative journalists - and they can be chucked out come election time.

The corporate guys could hide all manner of stuff, not even pretend to put the country first and never have to answer to anyone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top