Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 05:24 PM

Would you pay to stay in the EU?

Hi

The EU has floated the idea of Individuals paying to be members of the EU.

Whilst I voted for out, I would pay as an individual.

I spend a lot of time in the EU, love the place.

France, Belgium, Portugal, Poland and in particular, Rome.

It would suit me to pay, as an individual, £100 a year just to avoid the queues.

How about you?

I absolutely hate queing at ports and airports.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 05:30 PM

Re: Would you pay to stay in the EU?

Still have to queue for security though. I have found those to be far worse than immigration/passport control.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 09:55 PM

No but I could be persuaded to pay to get out quicker
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 10:16 PM

I can't think of one good reason to pay to stay in the EU I don't want to stay in for free either.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
The EU has floated the idea of Individuals paying to be members of the EU.
I'm not sure what advantages this would bring.

Would it entail paying a proportionate amount for membership?

Would it involve remaining subject to EU laws?

Would the member have dual nationality?

Or would it entitle the 'member' to visit EU countries without the need of a visa?

Regardless of the answers to the above, I would never even consider paying to remain a member of the EU. I wouldn't even consider it if it were free.

Who in their right mind would want to remain in any way connected to that corrupt organisation?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 10:55 PM

The EU parliament and the EU itself are two entirely different things. Easily confused perhaps as they both have "EU" in them...

No I wouldn't pay to retain membership. It's worth it for those who regularly travel around the EU for business etc. I'm sure there will be visa waiver & work permit arrangements as part of the negotiations. At least I hope so. It will just be more red tape than it is now.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
The EU parliament and the EU itself are two entirely different things. Easily confused perhaps as they both have "EU" in them...
At the risk of accusations of my being 'confused', I'd like to say that in my opinion the two are inescapably interconnected: the EU Parliament is nominally the body which runs the EU, although we all know that the real power is held by the EU Commission.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 12:12 AM

I see the EU as the countries in the EU that trade & cooperate with each other on business, science, tourism, medicine, arts, etc. So when I am talking about EU benefits it would be separate from the mysterious body in Brussels that seem to have had their heads in the clouds a lot of the time. I guess it's like when people talk about faith and the church. Some separate it as two different things others refuse and say they are one and the same. I would be in the former group.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 12:31 AM

I see the EU as a great bureaucracy designed to stifle free trade between European countries. It's one huge kleptocracy run for the benefit of unelected corrupt officials disguised as a democratic process.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

14-03-2017, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I see the EU as the countries in the EU that trade & cooperate with each other on business, science, tourism, medicine, arts, etc. So when I am talking about EU benefits it would be separate from the mysterious body in Brussels that seem to have had their heads in the clouds a lot of the time. I guess it's like when people talk about faith and the church. Some separate it as two different things others refuse and say they are one and the same. I would be in the former group.
I take your point, but I'd ask the question, just how independent are the individual EU countries?

Most (not us of course!) tend to ignore any rulings issued by the EU Commission in practice. However, when push comes to shove they can still be subject to punishments for non compliance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top