Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 04:27 PM

Betrayal Then, Betrayal Now!

I read a letter in my paper today that leaves me speechless, and that says a lot for this gobbyl female!! Please read below and judge for yourselves ….

I’m shocked to discover from Agriculture and Fisheries Minister,George Eustice MP, that, even after full Brexit, we won’t be able to secure 100 per cent of the fish stocks in our restored 200-mile territorial limits.
I nearly fell off my chair to hear such defeatist rubbish. It seems that Spanish and French fishing companies have gained perpetual rights, like squatters in a house, because they’ve been taking our fish for 40-plus years since Edward Heath signed away our rights on joining the Common Market.

The more we hear, the more clearly we see Heath sold us down the river. For even after regaining true self-governance, we will still be relinquishing our rights into foreign hands.

This is totally unacceptable in every respect and must be the subject of public outcry. We voted to leave, but now it seems we can’t force these foreign fishing vessels to leave.
Let’s hope in future we have stronger government ministers in place by the time our gunboats and new carrier are ready.

UNQUOTE

So there we have it. The Common Fisheries Policy. One of the most disgraceful acts ever committed against our own people by our own government of the day in 1970. Betrayal on a huge scale. Handed to the elite in Brussels on a plate, The precious British/Irish 200-mile fishing waters, to the hated CFP. Dreamt up by the elite in Brussels, it resulted in a bonanza for the French and Spanish fishing boats to pillage our waters, leading to a huge decline in our fish stocks, discarding of fish and tragically the almost complete and utter destruction of our own fishing industry and coastal towns with the resulting now near desolation of once thriving fishing communities and loss of thousands of jobs.

The real crime committed against our fishermen is that the CFP didn’t even exist until Britain joined the Common Market!! The British and Irish waters now account for 60% of the EU’s fishing.
Before this betrayal, Britain and Ireland owned 80% of fishing whilst countries such as France, Spain and Italy had destroyed theirs in the Med. Yet our country just gave away one of our most important national interests! B…….’s!

We all know that “certain countries” receive a better deal than others in the EU, and as I have posted on here before, Germany and France with their national interests in Winery and Autos, made sure they were well protected, Not for them the sharing of one of their best national interests, neither did all the other EU countries, yet our own craven government at the time did this to our country!

It’s unbelievable yet true! And now this bombshell news.

Your thoughts please.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 05:01 PM

Re: Betrayal Then, Betrayal Now!

They've been incredibly willing to give away our fish from the start, defeatist before they even start negotiating. Worries me what they will give away if their hearts aren't in it to win it.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 05:20 PM

Hi

We sold our quotas to foreign owned vessels.

http://britishseafishing.co.uk/cornelis-vrolijk/

There would appear to be ways around this impasse.

Perhaps we could insist on all fish caught in British Waters are landed in the UK.

Secondly, we need to get tough, step up the patrols and ban anyone breaking the rules from holding a quota again.

Once again, it is our own sheer stupidity.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 05:45 PM

Apparently with the release of government papers under the 30 year rule, we now know that Geoffrey Rippon, the Fisheries and Agricultural Minister told Ted Heath
“If we want to join the EEC (as it was), we will have to sacrifice Britain’s fishermen”.
The Common Fisheries Policy was quickly introduced while Britain was negotiating and had signed the main papers. Ted Heath should have stood up for Britain and said NO!.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 05:55 PM

Poor fishermen .
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

15-03-2017, 06:05 PM

I do seem to recall some years ago, Scottish fishermen had to call on the Royal Navy for protection after being attacked in international waters by French fishing boats over Scallop beds. The French had been destroying the Scottish boats fishing nets or baskets?.

I wonder what the Scottish fishermen think at this present time about Nicola wanting a referendum on independence before negotiations are even completed so they will have no choice but to continue sharing with French, Spanish and others, their very precious Scallop beds, when there may be an opportunity to negotiate either the full return to them or at least a price that EU fishing fleets may have to pay by having to land them in Scotland only, as SF says, could happen.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

15-03-2017, 06:06 PM

P.S. i think the attacks by French fishing vessels were off the island of Caen.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 08:10 PM

I find this a ridiculous attitude.

When we are out, surely we shall regain our traditional fishing areas under international law.

We need to increase the size of our navy in preparation. It doesn't need to be expensive destroyers or frigates (although that would be nice too) but smaller armed patrol vessels.

It wouldn't take much to scare off the Frogs!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I find this a ridiculous attitude.

When we are out, surely we shall regain our traditional fishing areas under international law.

We need to increase the size of our navy in preparation. It doesn't need to be expensive destroyers or frigates (although that would be nice too) but smaller armed patrol vessels.

It wouldn't take much to scare off the Frogs!
Hi

I rather think the problem is that it appears we have sold them.

We have sold just about everything else.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2017, 11:56 PM

I thought the cod wars off Iceland was fought because Britain had over fished their own waters and had to go further afield into other people's waters to get fish. The fish stocks might be in safer hands being looked after by Spain.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top