Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 06:04 PM

Re: March 29th.

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The threats have already started, especially from Juncker.
Indeed. The threats are beginning to come thick and fast now:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/781...y&utm_campaign

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...K&utm_campaign

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/781...e&utm_campaign
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 06:46 PM

It's good to know things will be moving at last

Whatever posturing and puffing out of chests there is from people like Juncker to make it seem they are going to be tough, I feel that good sense and mutual interest will prevail.
It is not in anyone's interests to be so tough they 'cut off their nose to spite their face'

I don't get this 'Oh we need to be tough or other countries might want to leave' well why not, if you don't feel a club suits you leaving is the obvious course of action and shouldn't be penalised.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 07:27 PM

Hi

Well we will soon know, or perhaps not.

There is much for some in the EU to lose from any breakup and Merkel and Juncker have an awful lot to lose, so they may well try to discourage others.

I must admit that I do not get this they have more to lose than we have thing which is do heavily promoted by some.

It simply does not make sense, the EU is a very big economy, so they will be paying Tariffs on 14% of their total exports whilst we will be paying Tariffs on 42% of our Exports.

The EU Countries are already here grabbing a slice of our Services Market, which is not covered by WTO Tariffs, so if they do not give our Companies Passporting Rights, we will be losing an awful lot of money in tax.

We shall see, a lot will depend on the skill of our politicians negotiating on our behalf.

We are subject to Internal wrangling, just look at Nicola.

The EU has much worse internal wrangling, many more Countries involved, some of whom export virtually nothing to the UK and have their own internal politics to sort out.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 07:40 PM

Its a pity people like juncker are involved. His comments are extremely childish and i hope there will be more sensible people around the table. What is his role in the negotiations?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 07:42 PM

Hi

Well we will soon know, or perhaps not.

There is much for some in the EU to lose from any breakup and Merkel and Juncker have an awful lot to lose, so they may well try to discourage others.

I must admit that I do not get this they have more to lose than we have thing which is do heavily promoted by some.

It simply does not make sense, the EU is a very big economy, so they will be paying Tariffs on 14% of their total exports whilst we will be paying Tariffs on 42% of our Exports.

The EU Countries are already here grabbing a slice of our Services Market, which is not covered by WTO Tariffs, so if they do not give our Companies Passporting Rights, we will be losing an awful lot of money in tax.

We shall see, a lot will depend on the skill of our politicians negotiating on our behalf.

We are subject to Internal wrangling, just look at Nicola.

The EU has much worse internal wrangling, many more Countries involved, some of whom export virtually nothing to the UK and have their own internal politics to sort out.
I am sure common sense will prevail
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 08:45 PM

Two things.

Firstly, I have every confidence that our negotiators will meet with success, not with the EU but with countries outside the EU. The proportion of our exports to the EU may well then become a good deal lower than the quoted 42%, as we begin to export more to other countries.

Secondly, it is more than possible that the EU will collapse: many have predicted it. It is not 'if', but 'when, and when it does, there are several countries presently in the EU who will welcome mutually beneficial trading agreements with us.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 08:57 PM

I believe that the EU is really worried that we might make a success of it, if we come out of smelling of roses and better off out than in, other countries are going to quote Brexit as an example for their own aspirations, and there will be no stopping them.
If on the other hand it goes tits up, then the EU will never collapse and have carte Blanche to advance into a Federation of Europe.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

20-03-2017, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I believe that the EU is really worried that we might make a success of it, if we come out of smelling of roses and better off out than in, other countries are going to quote Brexit as an example for their own aspirations, and there will be no stopping them.
If on the other hand it goes tits up, then the EU will never collapse and have carte Blanche to advance into a Federation of Europe.
ALL empires collapse eventually.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 09:33 PM

Large European companies who currently deal with the UK are not going to take kindly to Juncker making threats on their behalf......
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2017, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
ALL empires collapse eventually.
True, but the death throes are dangerous, Junckers and co. Will not go quietly they are on a nice little earner.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top