Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 11:09 PM

Re: UK-based airlines told to move to Europe after Brexit or lose major routes

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
So the £350m a week was a sneaky fake news story (that some still appear to believe!)
It is sometimes necessary to explain things to some people twice (or more times) if they don't seem to grasp them.

So I'll say it again.

The £350 million per week is roughly what we pay the EU before they, very graciously, give us some back: about half.

Of course, having given us some of our own money, they feel free to specify on what we may spend it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 11:25 PM

Why not just give the net figures? As already pointed out £350bn does not leave our shores. It was deliberate media manipulation. I would love to find a good analysis of the value for money of the £6.5bn balance but I can't be bothered to look as there's no point. It's so much easier politically to throw half the story out there and say work out the rest, because it looks more impressive to give a higher figure and most people don't question data in the media and don't think past the high figure. Whereas I see a graph in the paper and I immediately wonder what's the source, what's the sample, what's the angle...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 11:38 PM

Why not just give the net figures?
Why not save me the effort and google it yourself?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 12:00 AM

I wasn't asking you to do it. I was asking you why did you (and the relevant media) not do it. But that's ok if you don't want to answer....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

24-03-2017, 12:29 AM

I wasn't asking you to do it. I was asking you why did you (and the relevant media) not do it. But that's ok if you don't want to answer....
Did the media not do it?

I'm sure I have seen relevant figures.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2017, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
More woes.

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/uk...093308600.html

EU chiefs have warned airlines including easyJet, Ryanair and British Airways that they will need to relocate their headquarters and sell off shares to European nationals if they want to continue flying routes within continental Europe after Brexit.

Executives at major carriers have been reminded during recent private meetings with officials that to continue to operate on routes across the continent – for instance, from Milan to Paris – they must have a significant base on EU territory and that a majority of their capital shares must be EU-owned.

The development, coming days before the triggering of article 50, potentially makes it more likely that the carriers will act to restructure, with economic consequences for the UK, including a loss of jobs.

The tough line from the EU may encourage the UK to reciprocate with its own nationality rules, which would leave EU-owned airlines facing equally difficult choices, potentially dampening their investment in the UK in the short term, although some may seek in time to establish their own British subsidiaries.

The ability of companies such as easyJet to operate on routes across the EU has been a major part of their business models, and there may be a renewed willingness among airlines to invest outside the UK to maintain market share.

Some airlines have already started to seek alternative headquarters, and to examine how they might ensure that their shareholding is majority-EU owned, possibly through the forced disinvesting of British shareholders”
Probably why Richard Branson was demanding a second election in the papers this week. It's all quite scary, I would still vote to leave, I just hope we all made the right decision.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

24-03-2017, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Probably why Richard Branson was demanding a second election in the papers this week. It's all quite scary, I would still vote to leave, I just hope we all made the right decision.
I don't find it in the least bit scary.

It is just another load of bluster by the EU mandarins and the fifth-columnists within our midst.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 07:05 PM

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/lo...144900965.html

Low-cost airline easyJet close to landing post-Brexit EU base

EasyJet (Frankfurt: A1JTC1 - news) will announce within weeks the location of a new European base as Britain's airline industry grapples with the potential consequences of a 'hard Brexit'.

Sky News understands that the low-cost carrier's board has pencilled in an April decision on the location of a new air operator's certificate (AOC), which will allow it to continue flying between EU member states.

The decision will effectively entail the establishment of a new legal headquarters for easyJet, although the company has no plans to relocate the 1000 staff who work at its operational head office at Luton Airport.

EasyJet has spent the last nine months evaluating the merits of securing an AOC in each of the remaining 27 EU member states, and sources said on Sunday that countries including Austria, Malta and Portugal had been under serious recent consideration.

Member states including the Netherlands are understood to have been ruled out by easyJet's management, led by Carolyn McCall, the airline's chief executive.

One insider said an announcement was "weeks rather than days away" but added that the shortlist of options was now "very short".

In addition to the new AOC, easyJet is expected to have to amend its articles of association to require that a majority of the parent company's shares are owned by EU nationals.

EasyJet's biggest shareholder - founder Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou, who has dual UK and Cypriot citizenship - is currently classed as a UK shareholder, but would see his 33% stake designated as EU-owned under the revised articles.

The preparations for the UK's exit from the EU follow warnings from officials on the Continent that airlines such as easyJet and British Airways' parent, International Airlines Group, must have a majority of their shares owned within the EU.

The Guardian reported last week that carriers had been reminded of those obligations at a recent meeting.

In easyJet's case, the company has yet to clarify publicly exactly how its new entities will be structured, but it could involve up-ending the current corporate structure by making its existing UK AOC entity a subsidiary of its newly incorporated legal headquarters.

EasyJet employs roughly 1,000 people at its Luton base, in functions such as finance, IT and marketing - separate to the staff who work on its operations at the Bedfordshire airport.

Banks and car manufacturers are among the businesses that are exploring the need to relocate some of their UK-based staff as Brexit looms.

Existing rules in the EU mean that there is a single aviation agreement across the bloc, but the UK's continued membership of that is uncertain.

Last week, the UK's Airport Operators Association added its voice to those warning about the implications of a hard Brexit, saying:

"If there are no such agreements by the time the UK leaves the EU, the UK's connectivity will be undermined and its ability to trade will be made significantly more difficult.

"It is therefore important that we reach agreement of a transitional deal on aviation early in negotiations to provide certainty for business and consumers."

In a statement to the London Stock Exchange (Other OTC: LDNXF - news) in the aftermath of the Brexit vote, the company said: "EasyJet has been preparing for this eventuality in the lead up to the referendum vote and has been working on a number of options that will allow it to continue flying in all of its markets."

EasyJet declined to comment further on Sunday.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2017, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I don't find it in the least bit scary.

It is just another load of bluster by the EU mandarins and the fifth-columnists within our midst.
Hi

The open skies agreement belongs to the EU, not the UK.

When we leave it ends.

It is then up to the UK to renegotiate it, if we wish to do so.

It makes commercial sense to the airlines to get a new base in the EU to continue participating in it, as there is no way that it can be renegotiated within the two year deadline.

This will mean tax will be paid in the EU, not in the UK.

British Airways, our national flagship carrier is part of the IAG Group.

IAG is already domiciled in Spain, holds it's Board Meetings in Spain and pays tax in Spain.

It's biggest shareholder is Qatar.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top