Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 06:14 PM

Re: Growing Ginger

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I thought this might be about the Windsors.

Didn't they grow a Hewitt boy?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Getting back to topic . . . :
Sorry Mups - naughty me.....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 08:18 PM

Getting back to topic . . .

I saw that company Julie, but I believe the minimum order is £12 + £1.25 delivery. That's quite a lot to pay for a £1.10 piece of ginger!
Thanks very much for looking though.
I've found a few places do the seeds but they are tender below 5 degrees so there seems to be some question if they will have time to flower etc in our short season. Also they appear to grow 7m ! might be a bit big for my small garden
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I've found a few places do the seeds but they are tender below 5 degrees so there seems to be some question if they will have time to flower etc in our short season. Also they appear to grow 7m ! might be a bit big for my small garden

You sure you've got that right Julie - 7 metres???

This is what I was led to believe:

"Plant the rhizomes 6 to 8 inches apart, 2 to 4 inches deep, and with the growth buds pointing upward. They can be planted whole or in smaller pieces with a couple of growing buds each. Ginger plants will grow to about 2 to 3 feet tall."
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Sorry Mups - naughty me.....

S'ok, just wanted to try and steer it back before others put their three 'apeth in.
I know how easy is for threads to quickly run off-track.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 10:16 PM

I thought I read somewhere that you could simply use shop bought ginger that was sprouting but as I said, mine didn't work so perhaps that is why. I blamed the snow and frost earlier in the year.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 02:29 AM

Has anyone ever tried this? I fancy having a go.

From what I understand, you plant the ginger pieces just under the soil surface, rather like Dahlia tubers, in a seed/cutting compost mixed with some perlite.
Look for the 'eyes' - rather like seed potatoes have.

Most of the Ginger we buy in Supermarkets is treated with a chemical to stop it 'sprouting' and prolong shelf life, so this is unlikely to be any good for growing from, as it will probably not make any shoots.

I have got to locate some Organic Ginger which will be untreated.
The 'Rhizomes' which grow look quite a lot like Iris rhizomes as they spread and grow.

I like experimenting with different plants, so looking forward to trying this when the weather warms up a bit more.
I have grown it but it is a bit of weed if you are not careful - it can get away from you and spread where you don't want it.

I just used ginger from the supermarket, you can always find some with 'buds' - it sprouted well. Once it starts sprouting just divide up the clumps. Easy as...

There are ornamental varieties of ginger which are grown for their flower (though to be honest I don't think the flowers of the two varieties are much different just big yellow fllowers)

There is still some growing in a passageway at the side of my house
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 02:50 AM

Went out to have a look and see if any ginger still survived

I warned you that it is like a weed. Here is some sprouting under my meter box at the side of the house. I suppose I could dig it up and plant it in better circumstances.

I think the meter reader (wo)man has trod on it plus the fact that I never water it and lack of sunshine has made it a bit stunted but it is almost impossible to kill.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_6624.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	8289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_6626.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	8290  
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

29-12-2018, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Not 7m more like 1.5m, 1.8m max. Thin fleshy stems easy to cut, they grow in clumps, and spread that way. Quite nice yellow flowers

Never grown them from seeds just used the bulbs from the supermarket.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2018, 10:12 AM

I have had a reread and def says 7m perhaps it's a different strain ? or perhaps they made a mistake ? who know

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top