Join for free
Page 4 of 19 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 12:46 PM

Re: Jury Service

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I am going back to he mid 1970's, so things might have changed a bit since then
Maybe?????
I expect so.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 12:51 PM

Sweetie, you can be sure of "Unanimous" support on here.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Sweetie, you can be sure of "Unanimous" support on here.
I know. X
It is interesting reading others experience's.
I am making a list, book, note pad, oh maybe a flask?????
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 01:01 PM

Ok
What actually happens then when you attend?

First of all you may be picked out from any number of people that were called as you wait outside.

You don't know who is who so best say nothing as some may be the defendents/relatives/friends etc.

When called you go into the courtroom and the usher explains the
procedure which takes several minuites.

then in come the legal teams who may or may not challenge a jurer. if they do another is called from those on standby

Then the swearing in on the bible or whatever the jurors religion is.

Next comes in the judge when you all stand until he sits down.
The the defendant is called and the charges against read out

Then the prosecution and defence teams question any witnesses. The defendant need not make any statement from the dock, only answer the questions put.

When all sides are heard you go into a room and locked it to deliberate the case, choosing a spokes person at the same time.

when you all come to a decision then you ask to be let out and return to the jury bench

the Judge asks if you have come to a unanimous decision from the spokes person.

if guilty then previous charges are read out and sentence given. then you are dismissed

You are not allowed to talk about it to anyone apart from fellow jurers

Hope this helps
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

11-01-2019, 01:04 PM

Ok
What actually happens then when you attend?

First of all you may be picked out from any number of people that were called as you wait outside. You don't know who is who so best say nothing as some may be the defendents.
When called you go into the courtroom and the usher explains the
procedure which takes several minuites.

then in come the legal teams who may or may not challenge a jurer. if they do another is called from those on standby

Then the swearing in on the bible or whatever the jurors religion is.

Next comes in the judge when you all stand until he sits down.
The the defendant is called and the charges against read out

Then the prosecution and defence teams question any witnesses. The defendant need not make any statement from the dock, only answer the questions put.

When all sides are heard you go into a room and locked it to deliberate the case, choosing a spokes person at the same time.

when you all come to a decision then you ask to be let out and return to the jury bench

the Judge asks if you have come to a unanimous decision from the spokes person.

if guilty then previous charges are read out and sentence given. then you are dismissed

You are not allowed to talk about it to anyone apart from fellow jurers

Hope this helps

Yes, and Thank you.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 01:11 PM

Due to austerity I’d advise to take your own rope and tree should a guilty verdict be reached
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 01:11 PM

I actually made money out of it when I claimed out of pocket expenses
if you want to claim say for a bus fare then ask the court usher or maybe loss of wages,they can help. BT paid me while I attended so that is something you would have to find out

you can also ask to be deferred if you have a good reason. I did as I was due to attend a training course with BT, so it was put back to a later date
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

11-01-2019, 01:13 PM

A work mate of mine was on that Thames boat sinking court case which went on for 3 months , so yours may be for more than a day. unusual but possible
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

11-01-2019, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
Due to austerity I’d advise to take your own rope and tree should a guilty verdict be reached
I like you. I like wit. X

I actually made money out of it when I claimed out of pocket expenses
if you want to claim say for a bus fare then ask the court usher or maybe loss of wages,they can help. BT paid me while I attended so that is something you would have to find out

you can also ask to be deferred if you have a good reason. I did as I was due to attend a training course with BT, so it was put back to a later date
A work mate of mine was on that Thames boat sinking court case which went on for 3 months , so yours may be for more than a day. unusual but possible
Ah deferred. There is a thought.
I might do that. But I will do my bit.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 01:51 PM

The government website:

https://www.gov.uk/jury-service

Jury service

Contents
  • Doing jury service
  • Taking time off work
  • Delaying or being excused from jury service
  • What to bring to court
  • Discussing the trial
  • What you can claim
  • How to claim expenses
  • Questions about jury service

My best advice is "Go for a walk at lunchtime" .....

Page 4 of 19 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top