Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2019, 05:58 PM

Re: March Of The Losers!

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I thought we lived in a country when a party was voted in we accept it and don't protest, I must remember this idea that a democratic vote takes place and for years after we can organise against the winning side. Next government better watch out the rules seem to have changed and we are all allowed now to whinge and whine and protest when they win for two to ten years afterwards.
What do you think the opposition does in Parliament

What go you think the eurosceptics have been doing since we joined the Common Market/EEC/EU

As far as I am aware the referendum did not turn this country into a Totalitarian state and people can whinge and whine and peacefully protest as much as they like

No rules have changed, people whinging whining and protesting about the EU secured an advisory referendum and people are still entitled to carry on doing the same for whatever cause they believe in as long as it is within the bounds of law
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2019, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
What did austerity have to do with the EU?

It was a policy introduced by Cameron’s Government to reduce the UK’s unsustainable borrowing post the 2007 banking crisis and resulting recession which was principally caused by UK and US. Banks

Whilst the EU did enforce a form of austerity on some member states most notably Greece where it was principly due to to untenable fiscal practices and the adoption of the more stable Euro and it was the condition of the loans.

The UK is responsible for UK austerity measures and to use this as a reason why we must exit the EU is completely ludicrous.
Absolutely correct, but the urge to blame anyone but ourselves and the world financial system was pounced on by the National Populists and Imperial Nostalgic wing of the Conservatives and others such as UKIP.

Sadly, leavers fell for it hook line and sinker. This being proved by the lack of realistic reasons for them voting to leave.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2019, 06:28 PM

What do you think the opposition does in Parliament

What go you think the eurosceptics have been doing since we joined the Common Market/EEC/EU

As far as I am aware the referendum did not turn this country into a Totalitarian state and people can whinge and whine and peacefully protest as much as they like

No rules have changed, people whinging whining and protesting about the EU secured an advisory referendum and people are still entitled to carry on doing the same for whatever cause they believe in as long as it is within the bounds of law
The opposition should oppose only the laws etc that harm us not everything crosses their desks. If they got past the childish tribalism we'd all be better off. Both sides have some good ideas.

As for those of us against the eu we have had a very small voice and haven't thrown our rattles out of our prams in the way the remainers have. Never have I seen the like of the fear and whining we've seen from many remainers.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote from Banchery today0

What would be constructive is if a leaver could come up with just how we will prosper outttide of Europe given its obvious now that our trade deal bargaining strength and capability is very weak and it won’t just be the EU that exploits that weakness[/QUOTE]

Unqoute

Not a very convincing argument from you having to resort to the excuse of Leavers supposed oppression of people's right to protest. What rubbish. Not one word was mentioned in my post regarding the right to protest, just their moronic belief that they are acting on behalf of "the people". Which people? certainly not the 17.4 million majority that won the referendum.

As for reasons for leaving? this has been flogged to death here on OFF, but as you insist on asking, here are just a few that I certainly haven’t forgotten.....

Sovereignty - offering us the opportunity to once again be in charge of our own laws and restore our status as a sovereign nation. No more of 60 per cent of regulations originating in Brussels by members of an unelected commission.

Trade - negotiating our own trade deals with the rest of the world's commonwealth and emerging economies.

The Billions we give to the EU - we will have the opportunity to spend the £23 million per day on our own people. This money is more than we spend on our police or border control. It will be money well spent. The same with almost £1 bIllion per year we pay the EU for international aid. Let's see our own people be the recipients of much needed aid money first before we are charitable to the rest of the world’s citizens. Only then should we be as we have always been, one of the most charitable nations in the world - but never at the expense of our own doing without.

Migration Control - Under EU law, we have to let any EU citizen, regardless of their qualification, into this country
This means that businesses find it almost impossible to get work permits for highly skilled or educated people from the Commonwealth, US, Australia and elsewhere outside of the EU.
We need a system whereby every applicant would be treated on their merit rather than their nationality. This would also ensure that we accept more genuine refugees.

Meddling by Foreign Judges - Our Parliament have made it impossible at present to defend itself against the rulings of the ECJ - which has stuck it's nose in everything from the price of beer to the refusal to deport terrorists, killers and rapists. At the last count it was stated that the UK had lost three-quarters of the cases it's challenged since 1973. An absolute mockery of the idea that our Supreme Court is supreme!!

Protecting us from Terrorism - The EU's own Frontex border security agency has warned that jihadists are exploiting the EU's open borders and the migrant crisis to sneak into the continent and plot atrocities.
We surely must be safer out of the EU because we could deport fanatics. We would still be able to work with U.S. intelligence agencies on the gold standard "Five Eyes" intelligence sharing with Australia, Canada, New Zealand, U.S. and U.K.

Corruption of EU Officials - For the past 21 years, the EU Auditors admit that Brussels expenditure has been compromised by irregularities, with a high percentage of payment errors, in other words, money not spent in accordance with the EU's own financial rules.

The Rotten EU Economy - Stagnation and high risk of recession in Germany, France and Italy makes an even stronger reason to get out as soon as we possibly can before we are dragged down with them.

Ruddy Red Tape - Small businesses, the lifeblood of this country and economy, suffers the most. whereas big firms can and do, lobby Brussels.

Protecting Public Services - We have absolutely no idea how many foreign nationals settle here - which makes it impossible to plan the health, education, transport and housing requirements for them. This has led to the pressure on the indigenous to get a school place for their children or even a GP appointment. Rents have risen and first time buyers struggle to get on the housing ladder as prices soar and supply dwindles.
If we remain in the EU, by the time five more nations wishing to join - Turkey, Serbia, Montenegro, Albania and Macedonia do so. The situation cannot fail to get worse

Controlling Asylum Seekers - 1.3 million people claimed asylum in 2015. 363,000 from Syria. Applicants who gain EU citizenship are then free to move to the UK. The mind boggles at where we are supposed to house them.

The Farming Budget - Despite contributing 12.5.per cent of the overall EU budget, the UK sees just 7 per cent of the Common Agricultural Policy budget spent here. France gets 16.4 per cent, Spain 11.6 per cent. Germany 11.3 per cent, Italy 10.01 per cent and Poland 8.8 per cent.

The Crazy Green Laws - It was the EU who banned incandescent light bulbs and introduced the horrible supposedly eco-friendly epilepsy causing fluorescent bulbs.
Also vacuum, cleaners sold in the EU have been limited to 1,600 watts. This directive is also aimed at our kettles, toasters. Hair-dryers and other domestic appliances.

VAT - Under EU rules, once a product is liable for VAT, any EU member government is not allowed to abolish that tax without Brussels’ approval. So the lowest rate that Westminster can impose is 5 per cent - which causes real hardship for many British families with VAT charged at 5 per cent on energy bills. Our government had to ask their ruddy permission to scrap the levy charged on Tampons. Brussels pockets about 0.3 per cent of VAT paid.

Regaining Control of our Seas - Being a member of the EU has all but devastated our fishing industry - halving the number of fishermen to fewer than 12,000 since 1975. Under international law, each nation enjoys an Exclusive Economic Zone, extending 200 miles from its coast. However, the EU Common Fisheries Policy pools the zones of member states into a single zone. The first 12 miles belong to each country, but from `12 miles onwards the seas are open to the fleets of all Member states. They had long since plundered their own waters and gleefully started the same of ours, putting thousands of fishermen and related industries out of business. Leaving would mean being able to fish our own 200 mile waters and breathe new life into h fishing industries in England and Scotland.

I’m getting tired now and it’s getting dark, so I will finish it there. I’m sure I could drum up another dozen reasons once I make a cuppa, but the above are more than enough to have convinced me and others to vote LEAVE.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2019, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

I’m getting tired now and it’s getting dark, so I will finish it there. I’m sure I could drum up another dozen reasons once I make a cuppa, but the above are more than enough to have convinced me and others to vote LEAVE.
Don't blame you as it's been repeated so many times I think we are all getting fed up answering the question SG. Well done putting it so politely after a while it's tempting to get a bit rude I find.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2019, 07:42 PM

Another great SG post.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2019, 08:33 PM

So ... as a media circus lover I was disappointed not to have been invited.

But now I know ... this was an anti-austerity march in London today. We get loads of marches everyday.

Do the good people of Shropshire comprehend austerity?
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Quote from Banchery today0

What would be constructive is if a leaver could come up with just how we will prosper outttide of Europe given its obvious now that our trade deal bargaining strength and capability is very weak and it won’t just be the EU that exploits that weakness
Unqoute

Not a very convincing argument from you having to resort to the excuse of Leavers supposed oppression of people's right to protest. What rubbish. Not one word was mentioned in my post regarding the right to protest, just their moronic belief that they are acting on behalf of "the people". Which people? certainly not the 17.4 million majority that won the referendum.

As for reasons for leaving? this has been flogged to death here on OFF, but as you insist on asking, here are just a few that I certainly haven’t forgotten.....

Sovereignty - offering us the opportunity to once again be in charge of our own laws and restore our status as a sovereign nation. No more of 60 per cent of regulations originating in Brussels by members of an unelected commission.

Trade - negotiating our own trade deals with the rest of the world's commonwealth and emerging economies.

The Billions we give to the EU - we will have the opportunity to spend the £23 million per day on our own people. This money is more than we spend on our police or border control. It will be money well spent. The same with almost £1 bIllion per year we pay the EU for international aid. Let's see our own people be the recipients of much needed aid money first before we are charitable to the rest of the world’s citizens. Only then should we be as we have always been, one of the most charitable nations in the world - but never at the expense of our own doing without.

Migration Control - Under EU law, we have to let any EU citizen, regardless of their qualification, into this country
This means that businesses find it almost impossible to get work permits for highly skilled or educated people from the Commonwealth, US, Australia and elsewhere outside of the EU.
We need a system whereby every applicant would be treated on their merit rather than their nationality. This would also ensure that we accept more genuine refugees.

Meddling by Foreign Judges - Our Parliament have made it impossible at present to defend itself against the rulings of the ECJ - which has stuck it's nose in everything from the price of beer to the refusal to deport terrorists, killers and rapists. At the last count it was stated that the UK had lost three-quarters of the cases it's challenged since 1973. An absolute mockery of the idea that our Supreme Court is supreme!!

Protecting us from Terrorism - The EU's own Frontex border security agency has warned that jihadists are exploiting the EU's open borders and the migrant crisis to sneak into the continent and plot atrocities.
We surely must be safer out of the EU because we could deport fanatics. We would still be able to work with U.S. intelligence agencies on the gold standard "Five Eyes" intelligence sharing with Australia, Canada, New Zealand, U.S. and U.K.

Corruption of EU Officials - For the past 21 years, the EU Auditors admit that Brussels expenditure has been compromised by irregularities, with a high percentage of payment errors, in other words, money not spent in accordance with the EU's own financial rules.

The Rotten EU Economy - Stagnation and high risk of recession in Germany, France and Italy makes an even stronger reason to get out as soon as we possibly can before we are dragged down with them.

Ruddy Red Tape - Small businesses, the lifeblood of this country and economy, suffers the most. whereas big firms can and do, lobby Brussels.

Protecting Public Services - We have absolutely no idea how many foreign nationals settle here - which makes it impossible to plan the health, education, transport and housing requirements for them. This has led to the pressure on the indigenous to get a school place for their children or even a GP appointment. Rents have risen and first time buyers struggle to get on the housing ladder as prices soar and supply dwindles.
If we remain in the EU, by the time five more nations wishing to join - Turkey, Serbia, Montenegro, Albania and Macedonia do so. The situation cannot fail to get worse

Controlling Asylum Seekers - 1.3 million people claimed asylum in 2015. 363,000 from Syria. Applicants who gain EU citizenship are then free to move to the UK. The mind boggles at where we are supposed to house them.

The Farming Budget - Despite contributing 12.5.per cent of the overall EU budget, the UK sees just 7 per cent of the Common Agricultural Policy budget spent here. France gets 16.4 per cent, Spain 11.6 per cent. Germany 11.3 per cent, Italy 10.01 per cent and Poland 8.8 per cent.

The Crazy Green Laws - It was the EU who banned incandescent light bulbs and introduced the horrible supposedly eco-friendly epilepsy causing fluorescent bulbs.
Also vacuum, cleaners sold in the EU have been limited to 1,600 watts. This directive is also aimed at our kettles, toasters. Hair-dryers and other domestic appliances.

VAT - Under EU rules, once a product is liable for VAT, any EU member government is not allowed to abolish that tax without Brussels’ approval. So the lowest rate that Westminster can impose is 5 per cent - which causes real hardship for many British families with VAT charged at 5 per cent on energy bills. Our government had to ask their ruddy permission to scrap the levy charged on Tampons. Brussels pockets about 0.3 per cent of VAT paid.

Regaining Control of our Seas - Being a member of the EU has all but devastated our fishing industry - halving the number of fishermen to fewer than 12,000 since 1975. Under international law, each nation enjoys an Exclusive Economic Zone, extending 200 miles from its coast. However, the EU Common Fisheries Policy pools the zones of member states into a single zone. The first 12 miles belong to each country, but from `12 miles onwards the seas are open to the fleets of all Member states. They had long since plundered their own waters and gleefully started the same of ours, putting thousands of fishermen and related industries out of business. Leaving would mean being able to fish our own 200 mile waters and breathe new life into h fishing industries in England and Scotland.

I’m getting tired now and it’s getting dark, so I will finish it there. I’m sure I could drum up another dozen reasons once I make a cuppa, but the above are more than enough to have convinced me and others to vote LEAVE.[/QUOTE]

A long diatribe that doesn’t answer the question

I didn’t ask why you voted to leave

I asked how we would prosper outside of the EU
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
So where is The March Of The Leavers?

We need equal representation!!

There was one - in Sheffield !!!

https://search.aol.co.uk/aol/image;_...luk-homePage50
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2019, 11:54 AM

A long diatribe that doesn’t answer the question

I didn’t ask why you voted to leave

I asked how we would prosper outside of the EU
Er, by not being involved with any of the situations indicated by Shropshiregirl?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top