DED
New Member!
Malaga Spain
DED is male 

21-01-2019, 08:25 PM

BREXIT (the ramblings of an O.A.P

BREXIT
The ramblings of an O.A.P

Living in Spain I voted to remain for my own pure selfish reasons, which I assume most people did. However we lost the vote to the leavers and have to accept it, yet it appears there is hardly anyone in Parliament willing to except that result and push for a no deal.
Why? Could it be they are all voting for personal reasons also?

Lets assume we have now ditched the EU on the 29th of March with no deal, true there could be a few hiccups along the way but the EU have as much to lose on a trade/custom deals as we have, so I’m quite certain reciprocal agreements would be quickly be re-instated, followed by the UK now also being allowed to make further deals through out the world.

So what do we gain? Everything the leavers want plus we gain the divorce payment of about £39 billion being paid over the next 8 years with at least £16.4 billion being paid in each of the first 2 years. Also once we are out, we start saving approx. £250 million a week (£13 billion a year) which are our contributions to the EU.

What to do with this money!, we are being told there could be a slump and everyone will be initially worse off, that could be the case, but lets assume the government proposed to give every legally entitled UK citizen 18 & over (approx 55million) the cash saved for being out of the EU just in the first year. That equates to £16.4 billion + £13billion = £29.4 billion/55 million = £535 approx per person, to be paid free of tax in a lump sum.

Apart from a good feel factor, that would help the foot soldiers, it would boost the economy in the short term and still leave the Government the residue of the divorce payment £22.5billion being paid over the next 7 years, together with the weekly payments to the EU ie £13 billion x7 years, giving a grand total of £113.5 billion which could go towards funding all the projects that will make the UK great again, especially the N.H.S & social housing etc..

Now what about this backstop in Ireland, to me it’s just the EU insisting on creating an obstacle. The border between France and Switzerland is approx. 355miles where as the Irish border is only 310 miles, so what is the problem. The Swiss who are not in the EU have signed agreements with the EU which allow virtually free movement into France, true there are border controls which are partly electronically controlled, along with the police/customs having random stop & search on cars & lorries where they have received prior intelligence, these vehicles are normally stopped miles from the borders, so I understand. There are also many minor roads where there are no controls at all. So basically this system hardly differs from the current Irish border control system, ie cars and lorries are searched but the majority drive through without a problem.

Well that is my view of the situation, but then I’m not a politician so obviously all the above will never happen, but it was good to have a theory.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 08:45 PM

Re: BREXIT (the ramblings of an O.A.P

Good post, living abroad gives you clarity.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 08:54 PM

Oh very good.

But Brexit always has been a strange business and has never been about forward thinking. We were asked to vote, a blind vote, we voted with our hearts, not our heads. That can't be reversed.

Your £535 per person wouldn't make a blind bit of difference, this is about more than money.

Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by DED ->
I voted to remain for my own pure selfish reasons, which I assume most people did.
Nope. I voted because I recognised the danger to the country as a whole of staying in the emerging Federal States of the EU. There is too much at stake to vote for personal benefit imo.

Lets assume we have now ditched the EU on the 29th of March with no deal
Not gonna happen sadly. The EU is not going to allow us to leave. They will instruct our government to extend Article 50 and the charade will continue.

So what do we gain? Everything the leavers want plus we gain the divorce payment of about £39 billion being paid over the next 8 years with at least £16.4 billion being paid in each of the first 2 years. Also once we are out, we start saving approx. £250 million a week (£13 billion a year) which are our contributions to the EU.
Curiously this is not an angle that mainstream media is highlighting and focussing on !! That demonstrates adequately their uber bias on this whole fiasco. Neither the Tories or Looney Labour are plugging this angle either which serves to demonstrate that they BOTH actually work for the EU and are doing what they have been told to do.

lets assume the government proposed to give every legally entitled UK citizen 18 & over (approx 55million) the cash saved for being out of the EU just in the first year.
Never gonna happen.

Glad you are happy to respect the referendum result despite voting Remain. Spain is lovely, which part are you in?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 09:17 PM

Good post DED, and I look forward to reading you elsewhere on the forum....

The way things are going I might be your neigbour one day...I hate the cold....Brrrrrrrrr...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2019, 09:44 PM

BREXIT
Could it be they are all voting for personal reasons also?
I have absolutely no doubt that most, if not all, of our politicians are primarily interested in themselves and possibly business colleagues, relatives, etc.

Even May, who is a definite remainer, is likely to have her millionare husband in mind.

Well, we'd certainly gain the amounts you state unless, of course, our glorious leaders feel generous to the EU even if we 'crash out', as the remainers like to put it.

The examples you give are valid options, although I very much doubt that any individuals will receive any payouts.

I think the first priority will be to establish trade deals with other countries. In the meantime money will certainly be needed to organise this which, of course, could have been started two and a half years ago! Then I suppose there may be some 'palms to be greased'.

Anyway, whatever is done with our savings, we have a lot of catching up to do after being taken to the cleaners by the EU.

Look at the state of our roads, for example, and compare them to what you see (or have driven on) on the Continent. I know that I have certainly seen a great difference.

Still, I must say that it's nice to hear from a Brit abroad who seems happy with the probability that we are going to be an independent country again.

What about your own situation? We have friends who live abroad, a couple have a holiday cottage in France for example, and I have asked them if they had considered applying for French citizenship.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top