Join for free
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 10:46 PM

Re: Liam neeson

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
Well, you might have momentary feelings of extreme anger and wanting to exact revenge on the perpetrator of the rape, and those feelings might last days or weeks, but what possibly makes his comments racist is that he said he wanted to kill ANY black man, not just the rapist.

He didn't go out looking for just anyone to give him the excuse to beat them with his cosh, but specifically a black man to cosh.

How is that not racist?

It smacks of a one-man lynching party.
Yes I think I understand now, thankyou for explaining it so well.

I wonder what he himself thinks about it now.
He insists he's not racist at heart.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 10:52 PM

Actors say lots of silly stuff, none of which has any long term connotations.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Actors say lots of silly stuff, none of which has any long term connotations.

Yes it seems to happen quite often, delusions of importance.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Yes I think I understand now, thankyou for explaining it so well.

I wonder what he himself thinks about it now
He insists he's not racist at heart.
He has said - publicly - that he is ashamed of what he said/did - that it was a gut reaction at the time, and that he should not have mentioned it in the interview.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It's likely to damage his career.
I sincerely hope it does not - he is a fine actor and - goodness knows - there are few enough of them about with his talent!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I think it has been blown out of all proportion. What he said was a gut reaction to hearing that a friend had been raped by a black person. Which of the media hacks now screaming 'racist' can honestly say they would not have said the same in similar circumstances.

Hm media hacks - and honestly - in the same sentence - how silly of me. pass the Jameson's.

I agree with Tabs here.
I saw the interview on telly today, and he said it was 40 years ago !! He was in his twenties at the time. He is 67 now.
He said he went to some rough black neighbourhoods, hoping he would be picked on and a fight start, so he could get his revenge.

Me thinks a lot of stirring's going on there.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I sincerely hope it does not - he is a fine actor and - goodness knows - there are few enough of them about with his talent!
He is. But although this is not on a par with Spacey I suspect the backlash will be equally vicious. His red carpet event has been cancelled.

I'm really surprised that most other posters don't see the gravity of his comments. He may not have felt it was racist but it sends all the wrong messages at a time when the US is becoming increasingly intolerant and polarised politically. It's not something someone in his position can say without consequences. Apologising etc will just rub salt in the wound. He lives and works in a country that condoned the worst abuses of slavery.

You should read the shocking entry on his wiki page. It's already been updated.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 02:13 AM

In the cult of personality we ridiculously elevate celebrities to near godlike characters whom we can worship from afar. Why we would expect them to be of any higher character than the common man is beyond me. Liam Neeson is an actor, not a god. He was acting on human emotions based on a terrible thing that happened and it was a stupid thing to say. End of story.

Frankly, it's surprising to me how long people of prominence go for so without saying something stupid or self-condemning.

I can barely get out of any social event without putting my foot in my mouth.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 02:16 AM

This is beyond saying something stupid and I'm not easily shocked. He's a seasoned celeb and saying something like this in an interview is like hitting a self destruct button.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
In the cult of personality we ridiculously elevate celebrities to near godlike characters whom we can worship from afar. Why we would expect them to be of any higher character than the common man is beyond me. Liam Neeson is an actor, not a god. He was acting on human emotions based on a terrible thing that happened and it was a stupid thing to say. End of story.

Frankly, it's surprising to me how long people of prominence go for so without saying something stupid or self-condemning.

I can barely get out of any social event without putting my foot in my mouth.
Hi

I agree.

It is a natural reaction to an horrific event.

You are not rational when it happens.

You just want to punish someone.

It is a transitional thing, it does not last long, common self prevailed after a short time.

I can understand him.

I was so, so angry when my daughter was sexually abused when she came out as a lesbian.

You just want to hit someone, a man thing, a dad thing.

It is a rage against something which is so, so wrong.

Sex is a woman's choice, it is to be given, not taken.

I calmed down after punching a wall a few times and did not go and beat all the males in her office to a pulp.

That would have been stupid.

She was scared for her job.

She did not want the Police involved.

She knew the problems with the wall of silence.

I waited, listened and learnt.

Those responsible will never, ever, do it again.

A Dad thing.

Illegal?

Yes, but that is what Dads are for.

It is very simple.

No man has a right to force a woman to do anything.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top