Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 01:11 PM

Re: Antibiotics

I suppose, some would prefer, Unclebiotics?
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Calamine and glycerine cream (in a tube) is one of the best things I have found for quickly healing minor wounds and sore areas. A bit messy, but cheap as chips.
Not antiseptic tho surely ?
I have just finished my tube of Dettol cream which I liked very much and it seems like it's not available anymore . Wonder why not ?
Germolene in those tins used to be pink and had a distinctive smell .
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 03:34 PM

Years ago I’ve seen kids playing in the muck after heavy showers, they’d be making mud pies and some of them actually took bites out of them and swallowed, all grew up to be fine healthy adults.
TCP is your only man for the cuts on kids hands and legs, it sinks in, the muck is inclined to stick to the Germolene and spoil the flavour of the mud pies.

My vote: TCP 8 out of 10. Iodine 7 out of 10. Germolene: 5 out of 10.

TCP also makes a great throat gargle when diluted in warm water, ya can’t gargle with Germolene, but you can try if your feeling adventurous.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 03:37 PM

TCP stinks the house out , don't like it at all .
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Mags, I remember Germolene in a round beige/cream tin!
My mother used to swear by it. l thought it was miraculous in the way it soothed your cut or graze and it got better so quickly.

I remember those too
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Years ago I’ve seen kids playing in the muck after heavy showers, they’d be making mud pies and some of them actually took bites out of them and swallowed, all grew up to be fine healthy adults.
TCP is your only man for the cuts on kids hands and legs, it sinks in, the muck is inclined to stick to the Germolene and spoil the flavour of the mud pies.

My vote: TCP 8 out of 10. Iodine 7 out of 10. Germolene: 5 out of 10.

TCP also makes a great throat gargle when diluted in warm water, ya can’t gargle with Germolene, but you can try if your feeling adventurous.
Yes, but it tastes bloody awful.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 07:25 PM

When I was growing up, we had none of these fancy anti-biotics or creams or potions. If we cut ourselves, we got treated with Iodine on a bandage and slaped onto the cut. Huge intake of breath as it stung For spots or sores, we got given Gentian Violet - turned the whole area of your skin bright purple.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Not antiseptic tho surely ?
I have just finished my tube of Dettol cream which I liked very much and it seems like it's not available anymore . Wonder why not ?
Germolene in those tins used to be pink and had a distinctive smell .
The Boots calamine and glycerine product does have antiseptic properties as it contains 5% zinc. It really is the best thing I have found for minor wounds and irritations, but then I would think what suits one person might not suit another.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top