Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 10:52 PM

Re: Can exercise reverse the aging process?

Great share, and good comments here.

I generally find that my quality of life seems to be better than many my age. I'm fortunate to still be surfing, running, backpacking, ascending mountains, and working in very high altitudes that many of my peers have abandoned because they claim to be - too old. I tend to think they could do these things if they just conditioned into them, but they have made a mental decision to let go because they blame their numerical age.

In essence, I live longer, I have gained not more years at the end, but more and better years right here in the middle.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 10:55 PM

In essence then, not so much reversing the ageing process, but prolonging life
I can't understand anybody not wishing to do that.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
In essence then, not so much reversing the ageing process, but prolonging life
I can't understand anybody not wishing to do that.
And not just extending life, but giving one years with better health, mobility, and quality of life.

I wonder whether or not people who have healthy lifestyles are able to live independently longer? That would make for an interesting study.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 12:14 AM

I don't think exercise affects the age people look but it can affect the age people behave.

I can't fully exercise my abdomen area because of old operations but I work on our friend's allotment, ride a bike and walk briskly quite a lot. I think this keeps me younger than my years energy-wise ..but I reckon I still look my age.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 01:02 AM

Technically it should make you age faster because of the free radicals. However, it should make you feel better and stop deterioration of bones and connective tissue by strengthening supporting muscles.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

21-03-2019, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Technically it should make you age faster because of the free radicals. However, it should make you feel better and stop deterioration of bones and connective tissue by strengthening supporting muscles.
It is an interesting fact that exercise does produce more free radicals, but exercise also stimulates the production proteins (some of which are enzymes) that help keep free radicals in balance. Free radicals may actually help people live longer.

Researchers will change their minds six time though .
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 03:44 AM

A few days ago I came across my old Heart Foundation Pedometer so I attached it to my belt.

Day 1 15766 steps
Day 2 17522 steps
Day 3 7791 steps (so far today at 1.30pm)

They used to recommend 10000 steps a day as a goal so I am up there with that. These days people seem to wear those wristbands that tell you steps, distance, route etc but this thing does me.

I doubt it makes you younger but as a young girl said on a Youtube video I watched recently, "Keeping fit makes you harder to kill".
jubbles
New Member!
US
jubbles is female 

23-03-2019, 07:38 AM

health is most important, at least to me. essential for me to be able to still move and run, albeit less than before...
Ian Haines
Merseyside, UK
Ian Haines is male  Ian Haines has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 07:04 PM

We don't stop doing things because we grow old...we grow old because we stop doing things!

I'm 62, and a weight trainer, here at home. I'm now stronger and faster (martial arts) than I was THIRTY years ago! (In cardio-vascular terms, however, I'm in bad shape, but I intend to work on that with either an exercise bike, or a treadmill, but I'm in no hurry to buy one of those, just yet.)

When I was 50, I told people that I was going to celebrate the my 50th birthday for the rest of my life, and I've stuck to that. We grow old because we stop doing things, and I've kept up everything that I could possibly do from earlier decades.

My amateur's advice...don't live a digital life!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2019, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Ian Haines ->
My amateur's advice...don't live a digital life!
To be fair you can do both, it is not an either/or situation.

I just had breakfast, watched the sunrise over the bush, updated my on line travel blog, checked the weather forecast for Quilpie, then I will pack up and set off.

You young puppies don't know you're alive

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	19-05-21 005  Winton to Stonehenge.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	9622  

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top