Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 08:38 AM

Re: Repairs to house sold on after tenants moved out

This entire deal sounds shady. If she purchased a house ‘as is’ because it sounded like a great deal, then this is what she’s left with. It’s certainly not the norm though. Sometimes bankruptcies are sold like this but the buyer is usually informed beforehand. Something seems to be missing in this story.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
I think you and your sister are being unreasonable

Dustbins not emptied.

Put the bins out on collection day

Filthy carpets

Were they clean when viewed?

Bathroom and kitchen dirty, stuff still left in drawers or cupboards

Tough, clean them

Chandelier removed from the kitchen leaving her with no working light

Was the light listed as being included in the sale?
I agree. These things are no big deal. And the fact she bought a place with broken windows etc with tenants in situ, tells me she must have got the property at a good price.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I agree. These things are no big deal. And the fact she bought a place with broken windows etc with tenants in situ, tells me she must have got the property at a good price.
Yep!....
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 09:00 AM

Jazzi

Seems to me your sister only had minor work to be done and was lucky. If I listed everything we had to have done,well to give some idea

starting at the front door porch overhang replace the underneath part
Front door fix the door catch
replace the all the hall/landing/stairs carpets

Down stairs toilet
new radiator . window sill new tiles - redecorate- new skirting boards

Kitchen - new boiler and have window locks working. New taps for main sink

Utility room get the electric plug sockets back up and working

Back porch door remove cat flaps and fix yale lock

Dining room new carpet -windows again

Lounge redecorate including stripping fire surround and chimney cleaned/swept

Conservatory replace everything from dwarf wall up with UPVC and stay clean glass roof

Upstairs
Main bathroom completely replace everything including rad changed to heated towel rail- windows again

Main bedroom again replace everything in the en suite again window problems. remove under carpet power cable in bedroom and make good

other 3 bedroom redecorate and again windows problems

Loft lighting moved so one can see everywhere

Not even started on what we had to do with the garage (4 car inside space in total, part now used as workshop). electric alarmed roller shutter doors . Outside wood stores and the garden mess. Not even mentioning replacing/fixings gutters which had a colour mismatch. Also had to make and replace wood studs in outside wood house decoration frame

Remove 4 aerials on the roof and add a chimney pot cowling

So your sister has got away with virtually nothing to do.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 10:11 AM

I don't understand why they won't empty the bins,Jazzi.

My property was filthy when I moved,lots of hard work ahead for your sister,

To be honest,now that my project on my house,has finished,it's tiny,cosey and beautiful ,(so I am told).

I would like to buy another house,in need of tlc,..I am the type of person that needs a project.

I am now helping my son with his property,he also moved into a house that had tennants,absolute pig sty,carpets had to be ripped up,new boiler had to be installed plus new toilet.

Does your sister work,Jazzi?

She has a lot to do but I am sure she will get there...best wishes to her.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 12:47 PM

I think several of you are being harsh and unreasonable. Thanks for that!

pauline3, the bins have been left full since they moved out and the council employee told my sister she'd have to sort out the contents. Which is why I looked online for a waste clearing company.

She has had a kidney transplant, is immunosuppressed and why should she go rooting about in other people's rubbish? She has her daughter's two cats and admitted she shouldn't even be clearing out their trays.

I didn't say the windows were broken. I said the double glazing had blown.

I also said she works, several days a week. For the rest of the week she may feel very tired and rests.

And does she have the money for these repairs? Actually not really, having had to repay debts from the house proceeds, leaving her with not a lot to play with. It wasn't her fault her partner died, leaving her in this situation. He did keep up the mortgage insurance payments, so that was paid off. She has struggled to keep her head above water since he died in November 2011, and had to do overtime simply to pay other bills, with her daughter helping out financially. She even took in a lodger to help out but she moved on when she knew sis was selling and eventually even the daughter stopped helping financially when she moved out.

She has been a constant worry to me (I feel I have looked after her since our Mum died) and I just hope she finds a way forward.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 01:05 PM

So sorry to hear that,Jazzi.

She has been through so much!

I hope she turns a corner soon,not only has she had to deal with a kidney transplant,she has the worry of her house,
She is lucky to have a kind caring sis like you,

Hugs to you both!.

Ps,is there any way CAB could help her in any way or at least send her in the right direction?

They have been a God send to me on occasions.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 01:31 PM

Thank you so much Pauline. I was thinking of CAB if needs be.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

03-05-2019, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Jazzi

Seems to me your sister only had minor work to be done and was lucky. If I listed everything we had to have done,well to give some idea

starting at the front door porch overhang replace the underneath part
Front door fix the door catch
replace the all the hall/landing/stairs carpets

Down stairs toilet
new radiator . window sill new tiles - redecorate- new skirting boards

Kitchen - new boiler and have window locks working. New taps for main sink

Utility room get the electric plug sockets back up and working

Back porch door remove cat flaps and fix yale lock

Dining room new carpet -windows again

Lounge redecorate including stripping fire surround and chimney cleaned/swept

Conservatory replace everything from dwarf wall up with UPVC and stay clean glass roof

Upstairs
Main bathroom completely replace everything including rad changed to heated towel rail- windows again

Main bedroom again replace everything in the en suite again window problems. remove under carpet power cable in bedroom and make good

other 3 bedroom redecorate and again windows problems

Loft lighting moved so one can see everywhere

Not even started on what we had to do with the garage (4 car inside space in total, part now used as workshop). electric alarmed roller shutter doors . Outside wood stores and the garden mess. Not even mentioning replacing/fixings gutters which had a colour mismatch. Also had to make and replace wood studs in outside wood house decoration frame

Remove 4 aerials on the roof and add a chimney pot cowling

So your sister has got away with virtually nothing to do.
You would buy a big property! Who needs 4 cars, anyway?

She doesn't have the luxury of a garage (with electric alarmed roller shutter doors), a big garden, a porch, or a woodstore!! Or even a conservatory.

Or somebody to decorate, do basic repairs/maintenance.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2019, 08:55 PM

It's very hard for a female on her own believe me I know . I feel for your sister, and with health problems too .Viewing a lived in house is different to moving into an empty place , that's when you realise there is much more to do , carpets which looked ok with furniture can be threadbare and grubby and of course so much more shows up when empty . I'm guessing she is overwhelmed at the mo , but sometimes a good clean can help the house look better . I moved into an old house once the seller just moved out , nothing was vacuumed or cleaned when I moved in , it was dreadful , luckily I had my daughter and a friend who helped scrub .

I hope things work out for her and she gets some help .

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top