Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 04:25 PM

Re: Can one learn

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Wonder if they still teach this stuff in schools? At my Secondary Modern we were taught technical drawing and orthographic projection (depicting 3D objects in 2D), presumably to help us get a job if these skills were needed.
As you probably guessed, it was a bit tongue in cheek.
Yes, we had technical drawing at school.
I went on to become an electrical engineer. Much of that is based on mathematics. Things like Laplace transforms, Fourier series analysis........the drawing thing was mostly left to the drawing office but guys like me had to sign off on them. If it was wrong, it was my fault.

Back to the topic.
Can one learn?
Yes of course. But it can be tough.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 06:15 PM

The most important factor in any form of art is that you have to enjoy what you are doing. If you enjoy it, then you will put feeling into it.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 06:27 PM

I wanted to learn to draw portraits to be able to bring people alive on the paper so I paid and signed up for a class called exploring drawing . The first course of 10 weeks was ok , not once did we do portraits, neither the second or third course , in the end I left . I kept asking to be taught portraits but the class wanted watercolour painting not portraits .

Sadly I've lost the incentive now , when I'm ready it will come back
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 06:58 PM

People can learn. That's why we have schools.

But some people (too many) are too thick or unfocused to learn anything.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
People can learn. That's why we have schools.

But some people (too many) are too thick or unfocused to learn anything.
We are talking about learning how to draw, paint or even other types of art....... and as I have met people who are uneducated, but still very artistic, I don't think your comment should relate to this thread.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I learned to draw:

What the heck Bes, that looks so complicated it scared me! lol
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I wanted to learn to draw portraits to be able to bring people alive on the paper so I paid and signed up for a class called exploring drawing . The first course of 10 weeks was ok , not once did we do portraits, neither the second or third course , in the end I left . I kept asking to be taught portraits but the class wanted watercolour painting not portraits .

susan m. Some at tutors simply cannot teach

Over the years I have been disappointed with many and in fact, learned more from Books and Videos.
One female tutor talked about her cat most of the time and didn't do any demos

She told us to bring Fruit for a Still Life and then decided we were to paint Flowers.

A male Tutor age 60 years, who's art was brilliant never gave any demos but talked about his Wife and baby, she was half his age.
He was sacked as he was found in Cupboard with a married pupil.

Another male made us paint with a stick of Spaghetti and spent a whole hour talking about his mental breakdown so I left before I also had a breakdown.

At another class the First day I joined I was asked to take others home miles out of my way.

Luckily I did have three brilliant Tutors. One professional Male Artist who would not let us finish a Painting unless it was correct even if it took six weeks.

Another professional Male Watercolour Artist who sat with me for 30 minutes when I said I could not do perspective and showed me how to draw using perspective.

And finally, my wonderful Chinese Brush Painting Tutor from Malaya taught by a Chinese Master, who spent up to 45 minutes giving a demonstration of a whole subject and produced a wonderful painting with a few strokes of the brush dancing over the page.

Some ArtTutors employed at Adult Education Centres have no qualifications, and best avoided

Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 09:46 PM

Oh what a shame Susan.
It very hard to find classes on portraiture .
I know I have looked !
I did a weeks course many years ago in London but all I remember was that the models were always late and that put the tutor in a bad mood !
Perhaps you can get a book on it and take it up again.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2019, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
susan m. Some at tutors simply cannot teach

Over the years I have been disappointed with many and in fact, learned more from Books and Videos.
One female tutor talked about her cat most of the time and didn't do any demos

She told us to bring Fruit for a Still Life and then decided we were to paint Flowers.

A male Tutor age 60 years, who's art was brilliant never gave any demos but talked about his Wife and baby, she was half his age.
He was sacked as he was found in Cupboard with a married pupil.

Another male made us paint with a stick of Spaghetti and spent a whole hour talking about his mental breakdown so I left before I also had a breakdown.

At another class the First day I joined I was asked to take others home miles out of my way.

Luckily I did have three brilliant Tutors. One professional Male Artist who would not let us finish a Painting unless it was correct even if it took six weeks.

Another professional Male Watercolour Artist who sat with me for 30 minutes when I said I could not do perspective and showed me how to draw using perspective.

And finally, my wonderful Chinese Brush Painting Tutor from Malaya taught by a Chinese Master, who spent up to 45 minutes giving a demonstration of a whole subject and produced a wonderful painting with a few strokes of the brush dancing over the page.

Some ArtTutors employed at Adult Education Centres have no qualifications, and best avoided

Azure I have never found a good tutor for much the same reasons you describe
I wish had it I would be so much easier than trial and error .
But now there is youtube its much easier for people to learn .
Yesterday for example I learned that one should gesso the canvas before painting -too late I had already started but I will know for next time .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

07-07-2019, 10:18 PM

This looks good.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top