Join for free
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 01:46 PM

Merkel Starts to Cave In....

Strong messages will be sent to her Dear Leader as she thinks again over the backstop

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...-idUKKCN1UE16A

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...-idUKKCN1UE0YO
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 02:17 PM

Re: Merkel Starts to Cave In....

The title of your thread suggests you haven't understood.
Merkel is an old fox at this game. Let me translate what she is saying.
In the present withdrawal agreement the backstop kicks in when negotiations on future trade are not succesful by the end of the transition period. That makes the backstop sort of a punishment for the negotiators. That doesn't feel right.
Besides, it is a subject that hinders the conclusion of the withdrawal at present. Her suggestion is: formulate the withdrawal in such terms that the backstop is present at the date of leaving. In other words, it is not hanging as a kind of sword of damocles over the negotiations. It also means the UK will in effect not fully leave on the date of withdrawal, but clever formulations of the terms should cover up that fact.

In short she says, accept that the backstop will kick in. Accept it and to avoid trouble at that future date, introduce the backstop now without anybody noticing.
Will the british side understand what she is offering?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
The title of your thread suggests you haven't understood.
Merkel is an old fox at this game. Let me translate what she is saying.
In the present withdrawal agreement the backstop kicks in when negotiations on future trade are not succesful by the end of the transition period. That makes the backstop sort of a punishment for the negotiators. That doesn't feel right.
Besides, it is a subject that hinders the conclusion of the withdrawal at present. Her suggestion is: formulate the withdrawal in such terms that the backstop is present at the date of leaving. In other words, it is not hanging as a kind of sword of damocles over the negotiations. It also means the UK will in effect not fully leave on the date of withdrawal, but clever formulations of the terms should cover up that fact.

In short she says, accept that the backstop will kick in. Accept it and to avoid trouble at that future date, introduce the backstop now without anybody noticing.
Will the british side understand what she is offering?
I thought you had me on ignore ?

Merkel is very worried about her cars not being sold
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 03:53 PM

Hi

Mrs Merkel has been running rings round our Politicians for years.

I would not bet against her continuing to do the same.

What ever she does will be in Germany's interests, not ours.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2019, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Mrs Merkel has been running rings round our Politicians for years.

I would not bet against her continuing to do the same.

What ever she does will be in Germany's interests, not ours.
The finnish presidency will change that, or so they promise.
https://www.theparliamentmagazine.eu...campaign=Daily RSS Dailyroundup 2&utm_content=Daily RSS Dailyroundup 2+CID_f692a75af507f70b06d4367e5eed1303&utm_source= Email newsletters&utm_term=Finland EU Council Presidency 2019 What to expect

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top