Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2019, 09:10 AM

Re: your computer

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I have a desk top PC in the craft room. It began life (2004) as a Compaq but, over the years, so many bits and pieces have been altered/added/adapted I have no idea what it is now! It operates on W10 and is in constant use.

I also have a Packard Bell laptop which is only used when I am off on research trips. It operates on the loathsome W8! Really must have it upgraded to W10.

If anything goes wrong with either of them - they go to two tachy guys (Mark and Andy) who, together, have forgotten more about computers than I will ever know. They are brilliant and not over priced.
Most Desktops are just a box, with a Manufacturer's name on the outside.

On the inside they are full of the same bits, Memory, Drives, Power supplies, etc., each, often coming from the same parts manufacturers. Some internals are faster, bigger, smaller, etc in order to offer varying sales prices.

Even the software platforms are much the same. You wouldn't know it as they don't want you to spot that.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2019, 08:23 PM

Re: your computer

I always build my own from components and have done since computer fairs (remember those!) were a thing, back when computer stores were almost non-existent.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top