Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 03:02 PM

How are all our furry members coping ...

... with this heat?

My cats are really cranky - with each other and with me! Am trying to keep them cool by giving them a rub down with a wet towel occasionally. Yes, I do know their fur is supposed to insulate them from heat as well as from cold - but sometimes nature needs a little help.

I did offer to shave them but that suggestion didn't go down too well.

How are you helping your furries stay cool?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 03:14 PM

Re: How are all our furry members coping ...

We are mostly under house arrest in the holiday cottage, though I did just take her out for wees, on the village green. Picked her up and carried her into the pub, for a change of scenery, and so I could enjoy a cold drink.

She is currently hiding behind the armchair I’m sitting in, being dive bombed by flies. I don’t have any means of cooling her down, apart from staying in the lounge of the cottage which is cooler. The garden and patio are too hot.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 03:25 PM

We walk ours early in the morning. Even then, it still not very cool. During the day, he is mostly indoors on the laminate floor.

He gets some frozen chicken pieces of chicken breast with his food and ice cubes in his water.

Today, he was at the groomer and she took quite a lot of hair off - he does look smart!

And night he has taken to the upstairs bathroom tiled floor.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 03:42 PM

I didn't go to the pool this morning, I took Dageus out instead very early. He's been flat out ever since. He'll get to go to the beach late this evening if he shows any sign of wanting another walk.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 04:09 PM

Dolly is either on the kitchen floor or in front of a fan. She's getting clipped next week. We've been going out at about 7.30am, neither of us want to go far.

Gypsy and Paolo have spent all day and night outside, probably under a hedge somewhere, only coming in to eat.

A frog (sorry not furry)has moved into my "pond" which hasn't even got a proper liner in yet, just been plonking plants in to keep them from wilting. I'd better sort it out now I have a tenant.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 04:37 PM

Incredible our neighbours dog has got sore paw pads from hot pavement!

Good tip from Silver Tabby, to keep cats cool.

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.u...s-home-1872564
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Incredible our neighbours dog has got sore paw pads from hot pavement!
Your neighbour shouldn't be allowed to own a dog.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 05:18 PM

My cats went out at 5am, when it was a bit cooler, but they were all in by 10.30 with curtains closed & 5 big fans spread around the house. They have slept or eaten & drank through the day, so they all seem fine.... but the fans will stay on till I go to sleep.
One cat likes to sleep in the bath when he is hot, so I have shower sprayed it with cold water a few times.
I don't think it has been quite as unbearable here, as it has been in some areas!
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 05:56 PM

Daisy and I didn't go for our usual walk this morning, I offered but Daisy declined, so I didn't insist. She is 12 years old and blind yet she still knows where the coolest places are ... lying on the tiled floor with her back against the wall, until it's mealtime - I'm convinced she has an in-built clock ...
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
Daisy and I didn't go for our usual walk this morning, I offered but Daisy declined, so I didn't insist. She is 12 years old and blind yet she still knows where the coolest places are ... lying on the tiled floor with her back against the wall, until it's mealtime - I'm convinced she has an in-built clock ...
Better instincts certainly, animals aren't dumb.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top