Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 08:53 AM

Boris in Scotland

Well, that didn’t go well, first time any PM has to leave by the back door! As a Democrat, I fear for the Tories up here. They have become even more toxic. Maybe it’s time for Ruth Davidson to form a new Scottish Conservative Party as a lot of political commentators say (notice she’ll have to drop the Unionist bit). After all, she is no Boris fan!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 09:10 AM

Re: Boris in Scotland

There was a rumour that she wanted to break from the Westminster lot, not sure if it's true. I listened to her on an interview on Radio Scotland a couple of years back. She had very different ideas from the main party, some of them not too bad actually.
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 09:31 AM

I’m no supporter of the Tories Roxy but there are a fair few of that persuasion up here and they deserve better than that right wing coup down in Westminster. Ruth knows it and is well aware of the damage to her cause in Scotland but she is up against a very powerful far right machine and would find any breakaway extremely difficult. Wouldn’t be surprised if she chucks it to be honest.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
Well, that didn’t go well, first time any PM has to leave by the back door! As a Democrat, I fear for the Tories up here. They have become even more toxic. Maybe it’s time for Ruth Davidson to form a new Scottish Conservative Party as a lot of political commentators say (notice she’ll have to drop the Unionist bit). After all, she is no Boris fan!
The SNP lost 13 seats to the tories in 2017.

38% of Scotland voted to leave the EU in the EU Referendum

55% of Scots voted to stay with the UK in the Scottish Indyref

If you look at how those votes are split, IndyRef2 would end the SNP majority in Scotland and Nicola Sturgeons catastrophic career.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 12:14 PM

NICOLA Sturgeon has challenged Boris Johnson to a live televised debate on Scottish independence.

The two had their first official face-to-face meeting yesterday, with the new Prime Minister coming to Bute House.

Well if Baw Jaws had to sneak out the back door of Bute House to avoid
a wee crowd yesterday...I'd say there would be nae chance of Him turning up for a televised debate...Who the hell wants a cowardy custard to lead Their Country....not I.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
Good for Boris, he knew he would have to venture into the Lion's den by visiting Scotland. Kudo's to him for doing so. My same good wishes went to Nigel during his fraught visit there previously.
As Nicola has said, the Scots did not vote to leave, so it was pretty obvious he wasn't going to receive a warm welcome to thunderous applause for his visit. (would love to have been a fly on the wall listening to the Nicola/Boris conversation behind closed doors).
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland

30-07-2019, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
The SNP lost 13 seats to the tories in 2017.

38% of Scotland voted to leave the EU in the EU Referendum

55% of Scots voted to stay with the UK in the Scottish Indyref

If you look at how those votes are split, IndyRef2 would end the SNP majority in Scotland and Nicola Sturgeons catastrophic career.
Ruth Davidson led a very effective campaign in the last election by playing the unionist card. She was also helped by a collapse in the traditional Labour vote. Hence the 13 MPs. Ruth is worried about the Scots reaction to Boris and the effect that will have in the next election, hence her opposition to Boris and his ilk.

62% voted to remain. Of course there are those who support leave, even amongst SNP voters. Ruth is fundamentally opposed to a no deal Brexit, she knows the opposition to that outcome and the effect that would have on her support.

The Yes campaign in 2014 started at a much lower level of support than it does now, some current polls have Yes in the lead (Polls are always taken with caution but this is a good example of the Boris effect). One of the main reasons given for voting No in 2014 was that Scotland would have to leave the EU! Ruth knows the effect of Boris and Nigel have on the Yes vote, that’s why she is feeling betrayed and so opposed to Both and no deal. A lot of Scots also realise they were lied to as, I suspect, does Ruth.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 01:40 PM

She's also really angry at her pal "Fluffy Mundell" being sacked from the Scotland Office.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 01:51 PM

Boris Johnson’s new head of communications once dressed up as a chicken to mock David Cameron during his time as Tory leader. Former Mirror journalist Lee Cain is said to have donned the paper’s costume with ‘real zeal and great passion’, as he made fun of the then Conservative leader in the run-up to the 2010 general election. As Boris’ new spin doctor, Mr Cain is now at the heart of Mr Johnson’s Downing street operation, and even had to put up with the chicken following around his new boss during the Tory party leadership contest. A former colleague said: ‘The newsdesk were so impressed with his work, he was used on a number of occasions. ‘I vividly remember him coming to the newsroom and prancing around still in his full outfit like a rooster.

Oh I say...another Chicken...cluck cluck.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2019, 02:09 PM

A piece of reality weedeek and May. You WILL be leaving the EU on the 31st October 2019, along with the rest of the UK. Please remember to put it in your Diary.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top