Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2019, 11:23 AM

Re: People watching gross

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
I’ve never been attracted to those restaurants .
Art a lot of people just “fork “ their food. Were they never taught how to use their cutlery?

Re people not dressing for dinner I heard at the best hotel in Benidorm a man turned up for the Christmas Gala dinner in a football shirt .
Guess what. Times have changed. And for the better in matters such as this.

I wonder how many here use fish eaters when eating fish? Or a desert fork and spoon? Or have a butter dish let alone a butter knife in the butter dish? Or a milk jug? Or a conserve tray and spoon? Or a cruet with a BLUE glass lined mustard pot? Or lobster forks etc?

We do. We never use the bloody things but we have them.

"Forking" food is now absolutely acceptable unless at a posh do and even then eating "American Style" is catching on.

When it comes to going to a carvery trough you have to accept that if you eat at a trough than expect to share it with pigs. Want not to? Go to a proper eaterie and pay more.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2019, 02:47 PM

Well actually AD it's wasn't that cheap .
Although if you pig out I daresay it is .
We went because we thought the grandchildren would like it.
And the food was good.( even though I generally don't sleep well after Chinese -( I still think they lace it with MSG!)
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2019, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Guess what. Times have changed. And for the better in matters such as this.

I wonder how many here use fish eaters when eating fish? Or a desert fork and spoon? Or have a butter dish let alone a butter knife in the butter dish? Or a milk jug? Or a conserve tray and spoon? Or a cruet with a BLUE glass lined mustard pot? Or lobster forks etc?

We do. We never use the bloody things but we have them.

"Forking" food is now absolutely acceptable unless at a posh do and even then eating "American Style" is catching on.

When it comes to going to a carvery trough you have to accept that if you eat at a trough than expect to share it with pigs. Want not to? Go to a proper eaterie and pay more.
Actually Artful I always eat my dessert with a spoon & fork , so much easier IMO,always have a butter dish with a knive
Find "Forking " so much easier after spending lots of time in the USA.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2019, 09:19 PM

I last went to one of these places about twenty years ago. It was a lunchtime trip at work and although it seemed good value it wasn't my cup of tea to eat greasy hot food at that time of day. The other people were were normal (sizes and fashions).

It's not the sort of place I'd ever want to go again. Not because of the clientele but because I don't like stuffing my face. Normal portions are nicer and healthier.

I can see the appeal to people who don't have much money though.

Perhaps if you are that overweight and don't have much money then it's not easy to find clothes that look smart? I think the fashions recently aren't too inspiring. I see young girls looking like they have been down a jumble sale. Some look like they haven't washed It's not easy when you're on a budget but in general clothing quality in shops is pretty dire these days. Personal hygiene of young uns is not what it once was. Reminds me of adults when I was a kid in the 70s
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2019, 10:08 PM

As I just said it's NOT thats cheap .
Nor do you have to stuff your face .
Wasn't greasy either it was delicious oriental food .

It's up to you if you want to eat normal portions you eat normal portions .

Perhaps in fact you should try it it sounds like you need a new experience after 20 years

I don't think the people were that poor .
On the contrary I was surprised that so many people ( the place was doing a roaring trade ) could afford to go out to eat on a Tuesday evening .

If you don't have that much money you don't eat out .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2019, 10:17 PM

Yeah you're really selling it Muddy!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2019, 10:17 PM

Frankie and Bennys is ok, with a voucher, but, very noisy.
Sometimes though, a person feels obligated to eat pizza with a knife and fork, I hope its not Muddy who's watching me.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

31-07-2019, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Sometimes though, a person feels obligated to eat pizza with a knife and fork,
Nobody should ever feel obligated to eat Pizza!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

31-07-2019, 10:19 PM

I tend to eat pizza with my fingers spitty .
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2019, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
This also could be called Gross people watching
Last night we took the grandchildren out to a Chinese buffet place.

I have been before at lunch time with a friend and the food is good the staff an international bunch hailing from Thailand Nepal and even Romania ( but not china they are all doctors no doubt ) delightful .
But OMG their evening cliental was a different kettle of fish .
Poor Mr M was literally struck dumb by the horror of it all.
Having made the children change into respectable clothles before setting forth I clearly needn't have bothered .
Rarely have I seen such a scruffy motley crew as were assembled there .
It was Chavdom in all its worse forms.
Everyone looked terrible apart from another older couple ,us and the staff .
Our neighbours ( fortunately separated by an empty table )were a youngish family the father /boyfriend /brother was wearing a scruffy track suit bottoms half way down his buttocks giving the uninterested a generous view of his Tesco checked boxers.
He and several other men were sporting baseball caps a fashion item that surely should never have made it off the baseball field in the first place .Much less do they have a place indoors especially at the dinner table.
The spooky twosome on our right crouched twisted on their chairs as if they were about to run off. What is this inability of people to sit properly at a table .?
He was a blue armed tatoo aficionado she looked like an emaiciated member of the Munster family with dead white makeup and light peroxide blond locks .
Despite this they put away food in vast quantities maybe it's their one meal of the week?
However the true horror story was the incredible amount of morbidly obese people there in fact at least 75 % I would think .They waddled in vast tee shirts and leggings to and fro with super laden plates .
Guaranteed to totally kill your appetite .
Surely some people are overweight because they do in fact eat too much ?
Entire families of them .
These were young people who will clearly not make old bones .
Actually it amazes me how do they find mates in the first place ?
One family must have weighted in at less 90 stone the four of them maybe more.
Meanwhile the trim neat little waiters and waitresss scurried hither and thither what ever do they make of us ?
Huge scruffy gluttons ?
Now we weren't staring deliberately but where we were sitting everyone passed by in full view .
I don't think Mr M will get over this his sensibilities have taken a shock .
He looked at his fellow diners with the wonder but not amusement that one usually reserves for the monkey house house at the zoo.
The human race is all its unlovliness .
If we could only see each other as others see us .

Yes maybe we would be seen as stuck up snobs ( we are not) but yuk will never go there again of an evening .
Sounds like Sunday lunch at the Rehab residence....only kidding but I have suffered the same, i now avoid all you can eat establishments

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top