Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2019, 07:30 PM

DEFRA Slaps Down Shameless Project Fear

Defra reacts to "inaccurate coverage" on farming in a no-deal Brexit

https://www.southwestfarmer.co.uk/ne...o-deal-brexit/

"Defra has reported that there is "inaccurate coverage" running in the Guardian and Independent today (August 15) following a new report published by the People’s Vote which claims 50 per cent of farms and farm businesses could go bankrupt as a result of a no-deal Brexit.

Defra has released the following statement:

"The report speculates on the potential impact that could follow if the Government were to stop direct payments in the case of a no-deal. Not only does the Government not recognise any of the figures included within this report, which is entirely speculative, we have been very clear that once we leave the EU on 31st October, the cash total for farm support will be protected until 2022. This will remain the case even if we leave with no-deal."

"In the unlikely instance it is needed, we have also been clear we will not hesitate to intervene to provide direct support for some sectors."

""A Defra spokesperson said: “We have been very clear that once we leave the EU on 31st October, we will replace the Common Agricultural Policy with a fairer system of farm support and our new trade deals must work for UK farmers, businesses and consumers.

“As we have said before, the cash total for farm support will be protected until 2022, even in the event of a no-deal Brexit. We will also intervene to provide direct support to boost some sectors in the unlikely event this is required.”"

Project Fear is total BS

Don't be sucked in by it

Preserving our democracy and being free of the EU Cesspit
will be the best thing this country has done for years.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2019, 08:52 PM

Re: DEFRA Slaps Down Shameless Project Fear

Originally Posted by Realist ->

"Defra has reported that there is "inaccurate coverage" running in the Guardian and Independent today (August 15) following a new report published by the People’s Vote which claims 50 per cent of farms and farm businesses could go bankrupt as a result of a no-deal Brexit.

"The report speculates on the potential impact that could follow if the Government were to stop direct payments in the case of a no-deal. Not only does the Government not recognise any of the figures included within this report, which is entirely speculative, we have been very clear that once we leave the EU on 31st October, the cash total for farm support will be protected until 2022. This will remain the case even if we leave with no-deal."

"In the unlikely instance it is needed, we have also been clear we will not hesitate to intervene to provide direct support for some sectors."

""A Defra spokesperson said: “We have been very clear that once we leave the EU on 31st October, we will replace the Common Agricultural Policy with a fairer system of farm support and our new trade deals must work for UK farmers, businesses and consumers.

“As we have said before, the cash total for farm support will be protected until 2022, even in the event of a no-deal Brexit. We will also intervene to provide direct support to boost some sectors in the unlikely event this is required.”"

Project Fear is total BS

Don't be sucked in by it

Yes, I would be totally at rest as a farmer. Presently I have the security of subsidies and supoirt from the CAP. With a brexit I have the same security. But what the government promises me is valid till 2022, so in priniple I have to start culling my herd in 2020.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2019, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Yes, I would be totally at rest as a farmer. Presently I have the security of subsidies and supoirt from the CAP. With a brexit I have the same security. But what the government promises me is valid till 2022, so in priniple I have to start culling my herd in 2020.
Why would I do that Solasch.....I grow Wheat, Barley and Spuds?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2019, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

Project Fear is total BS

Don't be sucked in by it

Brilliant post Realist !

My friend farms over 5000 sheep and has about 500 + cows - he voted leave.

He hates the EU more than I do.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2019, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Why would I do that Solasch.....I grow Wheat, Barley and Spuds?
You feed that to your herd?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2019, 12:52 PM

Excellent post Realist.

The EU Cap as far as the UK is concerned, is a joke! It is nothing but a blatant contribution by the EU to the rich millionaire landowners, while farmers themselves continue to struggle to survive. And yes, all in collusion with our own government.

According to Greenpeace, Twenty per cent of the largest British recipients of the EU subsidies are billionaires, millionaires and aristocrats on the Sunday Times Rich List. Sadly, even brexiteer Sir James Dyson’s farming business was the biggest private recipient of the subsidy in the UK in 2016, totalling £1.6million. One can also count the Duke of Northumberland, the Duke of Westminster, the Earl of Iveagh and the Guinness family, and also the Queen as recipients of vast amounts of subsidies..

Far from benefiting from CAP, British farmers have long hated the system, which only benefits landowners and not the 23,000 tenant farmers. 70% of land is owned by just one per cent of the population.

At least with brexit, it will be a chance to get rid of bureaucracy and design a better and fairer system of supporting farmers themselves rather than their rich masters. We’ve never had a better chance to change the farming sector for the common good.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2019, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Brilliant post Realist !

My friend farms over 5000 sheep and has about 500 + cows - he voted leave.

He hates the EU more than I do.
Coming from a farming family and living in a farming community I have yet to meet a farmer who has a good word to say about the EU or one who didn't vote to leave.

I have to hide when I see a certain Landrover on the horizon belonging to a farming neighbour, I know if he catches me I will be stuck by the side of his car for an hour while he rants on about the EU.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2019, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Coming from a farming family and living in a farming community I have yet to meet a farmer who has a good word to say about the EU or one who didn't vote to leave.

I have to hide when I see a certain Landrover on the horizon belonging to a farming neighbour, I know if he catches me I will be stuck by the side of his car for an hour while he rants on about the EU.
Ha ha it sounds just like my friend. He is the same, as soon as someone mentions the EU his ears prick up and off he goes ranting and raving
gascony
Gascony
gascony is male 

16-08-2019, 01:10 PM

The defra response does not address the core issue raised in the report - that of WTO rules will mean the UK will get cheap imports of meat and non-meat products from all over the world. And that will put many farms out of business. Defra does not defend or refute that.
Defra also happily sticks to the line of grants / support to farmers continuing until 2022. Fair enough, that was a clear Gove promise. But, but, but - that promise was made some time ago and before Johnson's multi-billion spending spree. Imagine the debate - 20,000 more police or farmers getting grants. And now imagine that debate when dressed, as SG has kindly done, as an anti-rich land owner issue. Who wants to guess the outcome? You can hear the back-tracking excuses now...
So defra has not 'slapped down project fear'. Sorry Realist, your name once again fails to live up to expectations. At best defra have repeated a clarification. If I were a farmer I would not be sleeping happy and confident that a no deal exit will leave my business all prosperous.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

16-08-2019, 01:24 PM

Campaigners for a second referendum are herding a flock of sheep down Whitehall to protest against the impact a no-deal*Brexit*could have on the farming community.

According to a new report commissioned by the supporters of second poll, more than half of UK farms could go out of business if Britain crashes out of the EU on 31 October.

Backed by the People’s Vote campaign and written by Dr Séan Rickard, former chief economist of the National Farmers’ Union, the report warns that 50% of farms could go under as the government would prioritise keeping*
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...t-report-warns

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top