Join for free
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 10:23 PM

Re: What if Scotland got their independence?

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
If there is a referendum regarding an independent Scotland it should be UK wide. That would absolutely guarantee independence.

Don't expect a Christmas card.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 10:24 PM

Here we go another thread about Scotland for Christ sake let them go to stand on their own two feet, can't wait for that to happen.
Ray Cathode
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 10:27 PM

Let's have a look at what actually happened in 1707 then.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
If there is a referendum regarding an independent Scotland it should be UK wide. That would absolutely guarantee independence.
Sneaky one Todger! Why do you say that?

Regards Donkeyman!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
Well you did call a state New South Wales.
Well I didn't call it that. I think it was Jim Cook or Arthur Philip or one of those guys. Bit before my time mate. But yes they called it that. Places named after British places is not exactly unusual in the English speaking world. It is what it is. Just like New York or London, Ontario..Cambridge or Boston Massachusetts. Your point is?........
Ray Cathode

20-08-2019, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Well I didn't call it that. I think it was Jim Cook or Arthur Philip or one of those guys. Bit before my time mate. But its is what it is. Just like New York or London, Ontario Your point?

If you're looking for a source of crime then look no further than South Wales, I lived there for ten years and paid the price. That's why in the early days of Australia many of the population had been "transported" from old South Wales.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
If you're looking for a source of crime then look no further than South Wales, I lived there for ten years and paid the price.
Oh OK. I didn't realise we were talking about crime. I thought we were talking about Scottish Independence. And no I'm not looking for sources of crime. I'm retired. I mentioned convict jokes. Wasn't meant to be a segway into yet another discussion about the level of crime in the UK. I've been to Cardiff/ Newport. The city and the people were charming and it didn't seem any worse than anywhere else I went. But if you lived there for 10 years well I will defer to your experience. I sincerely hope nothing dreadful happened to you. The history of convict transportation to the Australian colonies is quite fascinating. If you have any interest in it you could read The Fatal Shore by Robert Hughes. Probably the definitive piece of work on the subject.
Ray Cathode

20-08-2019, 10:54 PM

Well I'd never go back, My car had a window smashed and the radio stolen, no big deal really but we lived on the outskirts of Cardiff and 4 surrounding houses were burgled.
keezoy
Australia

20-08-2019, 11:00 PM

Bummer. It's a nasty feeling yeah?..Might be no big deal materially but it makes you feel violated and angry. But helpless at the same time. I remember when I had my first car burglary. I was living in Randwick in inner Sydney when I was at university (1977). I had scrimped and saved and finally bought my first car stereo for my VW beetle. It was so cool. THen some bastard did the same to me and it was gone. along with a wrecked door lock. I still visit Randwick but I always think of that. NOw back to Scotland!
Ray Cathode

20-08-2019, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Now back to Scotland!

Indeed., as that's where I was born and now live. The Union of 1707 placed James the VI's of Scotland as James the 1st of the UK. Jimmy liked London more than Edinburgh, and I don't blame him. but it's been downhill ever since. I was in OZ 30 odd years ago, God know why I came back.

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top