Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 02:34 PM

Re: Why don't people listen to their body ?

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Well I'll be asking for a full MOT in October because I do this every five years. Even though I believe I'm physical fit who knows what is going on inside the body? It's the blood tests that are the most important.
The thing that still annoys me is that the NHS are still in the dark ages when it comes to the height vs. weight test. They still believe it's the correct method to gauge obesity.
Last time I was classed as "borderline obese" because I had a waist of 37" and was 6'3" tall. They don't take into account muscle density. When I told them this and they prodded around my stomach and said it was solid they relented. It's not my fault I'm a cool hunky dude is it?
Wish I could say the same, but at my age do I care, no.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Because there are different levels of sensitivity to pain and discomfort. So some people don't register problems until it's quite far gone. Others go to the doctor when it's still too minor. BP can be very high before you have symptoms. Cancer is often painless.
High blood pressure can have no symptoms at all, as I now know. My health MoTs, the Well Man clinics at my GPs were every four years, then they stopped them.

Not too important I thought, I was always healthy. In fact I had only been to the doctors, for very minor ailments, six times in 36 years. Then I decided to move home so a new GP had to be signed up with. Not being very familiar with GPs I found out that I had to undergo a health MoT before they would sign me up.

All was OK until it came to my blood pressure. After that was taken, the nurse said she would have to ask a GP something so off she went. Minutes later she came back, with my now GP, who explained my blood pressure was so high she would be neglecting her duty to allow me to leave without medication. She went on to say she didn't very often see blood pressure as high as mine. Did I have any problems at all because of this? No, none at all. My GP told me that I was their worst kind of patient – a healthy person is seldom seen for them to check their blood pressure!

I was put on medication there and then for high blood pressure, later it went down to what it should be. A year later I had a heart attack, possibly due to having high blood pressure for so long! Had it not been for that initial health MoT for a new GP I would never have known about the high blood pressure and might not be here now, it really was that high.

On checking my medical notes, it was ascertained I could well have been walking around with high blood pressure for ten years or so with no symptoms! I now take my own blood pressure once every couple of weeks and have an annual health MoT.

I would seriously advise everyone to have their blood pressure checked once a year.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I would seriously advise everyone to have their blood pressure checked once a year.
Sound advice Baz - I test my blood pressure at home regularly since I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. It is controlled by medication for which I have an annual check-up. If they take my blood pressure at the surgery it is usually sky-high which is the reason my doctor suggested I buy the equipment to test it at home. He called the sudden rise when I attend the surgery as 'white coat syndrome' - it's not because I worry about visiting the surgery it's because I hate sitting in the waiting room amongst all of those ill people I reckon
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 03:08 PM

I used to listen to my body and it told me that food, booze & fags were all good.

Now I'm listening to the latest serious health & lifestyle advice and my body's not having half so much fun.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I used to listen to my body and it told me that food, booze & fags were all good.

Now I'm listening to the latest serious health & lifestyle advice and my body's not having half so much fun.
What is fun about smoking and drinking too much, I don't get it?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by sugarbug ->
Our body parts warns us and we just don't paid attention
to them ..
That anywhere from the top of your head to you little toe .

..100% of us don't listen to our bodies . Yes eversingle one
of us don't .

Example : drinking , smoking , exercising, good eating
habit ., are just a few example .

Tell me why don't you listen to your body .
P.s don't tell me your deaf ..
That is a sweeping generalization and it is wrong - I do listen to mine and fine tune accordingly!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
What is fun about smoking and drinking too much, I don't get it?
You obviously never did either, but most of the world did. Attitudes have changed over the last 30 odd years, and we are now doing far less of both. It's not because it's fun doing less, it's because these addictions are proven to be bad.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 03:26 PM

You obviously never did either, but most of the world did. Attitudes have changed over the last 30 odd years, and we are now doing far less of both. It's not because it's fun doing less, it's because these addictions are proven to be bad.
You're the archetypal hippy flower child, d00d. I've got a mate like you who is 71 and very similar.
He was a teenager in the 1960's.
Even though I was only 5 at the end of that decade I now realise that it must have been the best decade to have been a teenager in. Wish I'd been there and lived that life.
Incidentally, I'm posting this whilst watching a documentary about Woodstock. Great times eh?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 03:27 PM

I can't see the fun in drinking so much that one wakes up with a hangover. I enjoyed a fine wine, or a single malt whisky in strict moderation. As for smoking goodness knows what fun there is in filling one's lungs with smoke.

My idea of fun as a child was playing with asbestos dust as my father sawed sheets of it up for use in his horticultural business. I even ate the stuff, it tastes like cheap muesli!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Wish I could say the same, but at my age do I care, no.
Ditto. No-one knows how long we have. so we should be able to enjoy the few sins that we of our age can indulge in.

I knew one local person who was an absolute fitness fanatic, never smoked or drank, wouldn't even touch processed food or tap water.
He sadly died in his sleep aged only 55.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top