Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 11:56 AM

Re: Oh What A Night!

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I went to a retirement do for a person bowing out of the dog rescue world. Someone went up to make a speech and handed me a puppy she had been holding on her lap. As she spoke I felt a bit warm in the lap region and realised pup had not been able to hold on. She returned to her seat took said pup and it was my turn to go up and speak. Stood there for several minutes waxing lyrical about this lovely lady with puppy pee dripping down my legs. Amazing how much pee a puppy bladder can hold.
Oh, Julie. That was worse than what l endured.
I think if l had a choice of aromas for wet legs it would be alcohol!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Oh Art! you poor thing.

My worst moment was when HWMO and I had a pub and we went to the annual publican's dinner. It was the event of the year for pub owners. There was one very long table across the top where all the dignitaries were sat, i.e. The Mayor, The Chief of Police, Councillers etc, and then a dozen equally long tables were laid coming off this main top table.

HWMO and I were shown to our two chairs, which happened to be the nearest chairs to the top table right in front of the Mayor in all his finery. HWMO pulled back my chair for me to sit down in my long evening dress. As I sat down and he went to sit down, my chair suddenly collapsed when all four legs gave way and I ended up in a heap on the floor.

No! I was only 8st 3lbs then before you ask. The fault was definitely with the chair. But I didn't know how to react to what had happened. Should I feign injury or just laugh it off, I was so embarrassed but decided to laugh it off along with all the dignitaries and others who were laughing too once they realised I wasn't hurt, and a replacement chair was brought for me with my red face.

Flippin heck, that was so embarrassing at the time. I would say I wanted the floor to swallow me up, but it already had!
Poor you too,SG. Yours could have been worse, you could’ve really hurt your back or coccyx
It’s funny how you never forget things like that!
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 04:39 PM

Come on Art, it's your turn! Mind that lady next to you!!!

carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Tara, You surprise me. I would have thought your husband would have been in his element. I would say, the majority of the U3A members in my local group are academics. Many are teachers, lecturers and doctors.

That's probably why Tony & I didn't really fit in when we joined. They seemed to be in their own little clique - especially noticable at a lunch club we went to.

There were ten of us and the 6 people at the end of the table talked amongst themselves making no effort with us at the end. We were seated next to two old ladies & made stilted conversation with them.

It wasn't my scene but I thought it worth a try..
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 05:14 PM

Tara, You surprise me. I would have thought your husband would have been in his element. I would say, the majority of the U3A members in my local group are academics. Many are teachers, lecturers and doctors.
Even with half a working brain my husband was a lot brighter than the collection of people who attended U3A in our area. For instance, they had a classical music group, something he normally enjoys very much, but their idea of classical music was songs from the musicals!!!!!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 05:23 PM

I decided on Monday that l would go to a Skittles Night with a fish and chip supper with the U3A group, l belong to.

On arriving tonight, l noticed most were couples that l hadn’t seen before but it didn’t bother me as l’d met the organiser and his wife when l took my payment to their house on Monday.

I sat at a table when the organiser brought a woman towards me.
‘Hi’, she said. ‘l’m on my own and Ken said, you were too, do you mind if l sit with you?’
‘No of course not’, l replied.

She had got herself a glass of wine and sat down beside me. She said, she had only recently joined and was feeling anxious about being in a large group. I said, it didn’t bother me and never minded going to places on my own.

She seemed to be ok and was chatting away to me but just as l was to be called for my go to bowl, her hands seem to be darting about as she spoke.

The next thing, she accidentally knocks her glass of wine and the whole lot spills onto my lap. My jeans are soaked and l look like l’ve wet myself and I stink like a brewery!

My name is called for me to bowl but l can’t at that moment as l am drenched in wine. I ask for my name to be put on the end as l try and dry myself out.

In the meantime, the fish and chips arrive and l join the queue with soggy legs. Anxious lady, decides she will take her fish and chips and go home as she’s getting more anxious.

She goes home, l sit in my wet jeans and eat my fish and chips. Next, l am called for my turn to bowl. I can’t explain to everyone that a drink has been spilled on me and that l am not incontinent! Anyway, l knocked 8 out of 9 skittles down and l felt a bit cheered!

Now l don’t know whether to ask... have you ever had to do something in wet trousers?
Or, how can anyone, who is so pretty as she was, be so unconfident and anxious? She did say, it stems back to her childhood.
Lots of people have Pees with their chips, Art!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

22-08-2019, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by John ->
Come on Art, it's your turn! Mind that lady next to you!!!

John, lt wasn’t ten pin bowling, it was skittles that had to be picked up all the time. I did help for a while before l got a soaking but it’s a dangerous place to be!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

22-08-2019, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Lots of people have Pees with their chips, Art!
Very clever! Ted. I like it!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

22-08-2019, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
That's probably why Tony & I didn't really fit in when we joined. They seemed to be in their own little clique - especially noticable at a lunch club we went to.

There were ten of us and the 6 people at the end of the table talked amongst themselves making no effort with us at the end. We were seated next to two old ladies & made stilted conversation with them.

It wasn't my scene but I thought it worth a try..
Carol, Although, l was invited, I haven’t been to the meal clubs.
I would imagine that the people who go, are in an established group and they are usually hard nuts to crack!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

22-08-2019, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Even with half a working brain my husband was a lot brighter than the collection of people who attended U3A in our area. For instance, they had a classical music group, something he normally enjoys very much, but their idea of classical music was songs from the musicals!!!!!
Tara, l haven’t been to the musical group sessions. I did go to a few Natural History meetings and they all chatted to me and were friendly.
I have been to U3A quizzes and l met two nice ladies who occasionally join the team l am in, away from the U3A.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top