Join for free
Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2019, 10:26 PM

Re: is the EU beginning to fall apart?

Originally Posted by cuphalffull ->
Who is talking about food banks? I saw 50% of the money I had done without many things to save.

There were no food banks, I fed myself in the old-fashioned way. Don't you dare patronize me!!

Perhaps some day you will know what you are talking about.

That ain't goin to happen, any day soon!
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2019, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
That ain't goin to happen, any day soon!

There's the world and then there's Swimfeeders world, They're not the same place.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
AT.
You are suggesting we should get nothing when we are no longer capable of doing a day,s work.
Having worked hard all our lives and paid our taxes etc; we deserve nothing from the state.
I served eight years in the Kings army from 1944 till 1952 then five years in the Kings Territorial army. I worked full time till I was 70 then part time till 75.
Now I am at the age when I can no longer work and people like you say we don,t deserve a state pension. If we have not saved enough to live on when we retire then tough!
You are maybe one the very lucky ones who earned enough to be able to pay into a good pension scheme but there are millions who could not do this as their pay was so low.
I can give you one example. My Father was wounded and discharged from the Army during the first WW. He could only do very light work and could not afford to put into a pension scheme. Are you saying people like him who through no fault of their own should get nothing because they have put nothing in the pot?
If I am holding the 'wrong end of the stick' then I apologise.
We have moved into an era where rightly or wrongly we TAX PAYERS are paying for a number of hand outs to people in need of them. The state age related benefit is outdated. Better by far that support is focused on people who need it, not on what they did in the past.

At this point I reiterate THERE IS NO POT.

In addition The State HAS NO MONEY.

The State has tax receipts each year that get spent in that year. THAT is where the money has to come from. That and loans that are made to the government that have to be serviced (interest paid) and repaid when they mature.

So all that you and others have paid in the various taxes over the years was spent during that year. Apart from a very small contingency fund to provide for national emergencies there is nothing left.

For all the years that you and others have been working and paying taxes - it means nothing today. All that money has been spent.

Now it's today's tax payers who are paying for our "Benefits".
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
In days of old Todgy, when the original labour party concieved
the national insurance scheme, it was presented to the
populace as a stand alone fund to finance all the things that
us lower classess hold dear, and which took decades to get
through parliament, it was in fact a pact with the people.
funded by the people with assistance from the employers
to build up a fund to support working class people when
they fell sick or fell on hard times!
Dont forget this was fully funded by workers and employers at
that time!
Once a pool of money gradually accumulated others got their
greedy eyes on this floating money, the government being one
of them, who gradually manipulated things bso that the fund
money became incorperated into the general fiscus!
ln other words the government stole the workers money!!!
Other interventions also took place which also contributed to
the decline of the NI system!
Imo the only way to correct things is to remove NI from the
Fiscus and adjust the members contributions, not forgetting
the money that was stolen by the state of course!

Regards Donkeyman!
There never was a pool of money.

There never was any floating money.

Instead there were departmental and ministerial budgets decided upon by the Chancellor of the Exchequer each year and made known to Westminster on Budget Day.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 08:03 AM

AD you are right in this .

People do have this erroneous notion there is a big pension pot of money .

There is not and never was a pot.

The money came in and went out .

The concept being that’s today’s workers pay the pensions for those of yesteryear.

But the ratio has to be right.

There has to be more workers than pensioners .

More workers mean more pensioners and people are living longer .

It all seem precarious .
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 08:18 AM

There was a POT (Money)at one time.

Brown sold it off
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

25-08-2019, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
There was a POT (Money)at one time.

Brown sold it off
If you are referring to the UK gold reserves they were literally that - reserves.

Not a pot to be drawn on.

They provided a collatéral réal that reduces the cost of servicing government stocks. The interest rates that would have had to be paid without collateral is always much higher than with collateral.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

25-08-2019, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
AD you are right in this .

People do have this erroneous notion there is a big pension pot of money .

There is not and never was a pot.

The money came in and went out .

The concept being that’s today’s workers pay the pensions for those of yesteryear.

But the ratio has to be right.

There has to be more workers than pensioners .

More workers mean more pensioners and people are living longer .

It all seem precarious .
It is.

More than precarious, it's unsustainable.

So called "Benefits" will have to be cut, living standards must be lowered.

Right now in this country were all of us are running up debt that future generations are going to have to repay.

On the positive side the situation that the EU is very much worse. The ECB is masking the fiscal rot that is taking place but that won't last. Fractional Reserve Banking is based on too many factors being in place that just ain't there. Germany more than any other member state are going to face the brunt of what's coming down the pike.

The BIG RISK is that Turkey will be granted accession and if that happens then the crap really will hit the fan. It'll be exceedingly good to be well away from what that's going to bring.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2019, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
If you are referring to the UK gold reserves they were literally that - reserves.

Not a pot to be drawn on

They provided a collatéral réal that reduces the cost of servicing government stocks. The interest rates that would have had to be paid without collateral is always much higher than with collateral.
Brown DID

Sold them for cash
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

25-08-2019, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Brown DID

Sold them for cash
He did indeed. He was bang out of order. What's more the stupid askhoul sold them in the most inefficient way possible so reducing considerably what could have been obtained.

Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top