Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2019, 10:07 AM

Another new scam?

Yesterday afternoon and this morning I received a 'phone call from someone purporting to be from Open Reach telling me that my broadband speed is too slow and that they want to fix it for me. On both occasions I simply put down the 'phone because I am sure it is a scam. I have had people ringing saying they were from BT and that my internet would be turned off unless I pressed 1 to speak to an engineer - I know that is a scam and always hang up but this is the first time I have received calls from someone purporting to be from Open Reach.

Has anyone else received an 'Open Reach' call?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2019, 10:13 AM

Re: Another new scam?

Yes and a scam. Whatever you do don't press any button it may well switch you to a premium telephone number and then charge what they like for the call per minute.
you did the right thing and put the phone down.
We have a called number on our phone so we can get the number that called us,then we report that number to BT
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2019, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
Yesterday afternoon and this morning I received a 'phone call from someone purporting to be from Open Reach telling me that my broadband speed is too slow and that they want to fix it for me. On both occasions I simply put down the 'phone because I am sure it is a scam. I have had people ringing saying they were from BT and that my internet would be turned off unless I pressed 1 to speak to an engineer - I know that is a scam and always hang up but this is the first time I have received calls from someone purporting to be from Open Reach.

Has anyone else received an 'Open Reach' call?
It is obviously a scam as is the BT one, which I have had many times.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2019, 11:23 AM

Warning in The Sun about Open Reach scam https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/83027...-bank-details/
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2019, 11:28 AM

Scammer Scumbags!
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2019, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Warning in The Sun about Open Reach scam https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/83027...-bank-details/
Thanks for that Zuleika, I'm glad to see that putting the 'phone down on them was justified. I thought it was a scam so it's good to have that confirmed.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK

24-08-2019, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Scammer Scumbags!
There seem to be more and more of these people who think they can earn a living from folks who have worked hard all of their lives. It certainly pays to be vigilant that's for sure.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK

24-08-2019, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Yes and a scam. Whatever you do don't press any button it may well switch you to a premium telephone number and then charge what they like for the call per minute.
you did the right thing and put the phone down.
We have a called number on our phone so we can get the number that called us,then we report that number to BT
We have that on our 'phone too so I shall now report any more we may get to BT - I hadn't thought of doing that.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2019, 03:25 PM

Ive been getting a lot of silent calls.... I say hello a few times and they hang up. Not sure what thats about unless they want me to ring them back and its a premium number.... the number is always different though.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2019, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Ive been getting a lot of silent calls.... I say hello a few times and they hang up. Not sure what thats about unless they want me to ring them back and its a premium number.... the number is always different though.
I get that too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top