Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2013, 03:29 PM

Re: Ripper Steet

I watched a bit of the first one and then some of the one this Sunday. It is well done, but I am a bit put off by the violence, although I do understand it is probably how things often were in Victorian times, especially if you were poor. I think part of what upsets me is the injustice and lack of power people had and the lawless folks that walked the streets in those days. I think it is worse than the cowboys in the westerns. Maybe it is a bit too real and close to home. I'm the sort of person who turns it off when the violence becomes a bit too much, although it is usually too late once I have seen it. I have been ready to turn off a couple of times with this series, but OH watches, so I find myself walking out of the room for a while.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2013, 03:43 PM

Not my cup of tea, but from what I have seen of it, the BBC have triumphed as always in the excellence of PERIOD dramas, the sets, costumes & attention to historic detail.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2013, 04:15 PM

I've always found the victorian era downright depressing, so although we tried this new series we didn't get past the first 15 minutes I'm afraid, what a dark, unnecessarily violent and depressing excuse for a drama, you certainly couldn't class it as entertainment....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2013, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I've always found the victorian era downright depressing, so although we tried this new series we didn't get past the first 15 minutes I'm afraid, what a dark, unnecessarily violent and depressing excuse for a drama, you certainly couldn't class it as entertainment....
How I agree with you - far too many programmes on this line, I wish they'd give it rest....
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2013, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Well, after reading contributors comments I am right to give it a miss.
This so called mystery has been given far too much time on tv and film.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2013, 07:07 PM

Not our Cup of Tea either...
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2013, 05:31 PM

Oh dear, seems as if I am in the minority here, or maybe it is simply that the naysayers are the only ones to comment, but I personally thoroughly enjoyed both episodes and am looking forward to the next one. Far more interesting and realistic than the namby pamby sugary sweet Paradise.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2013, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
Oh dear, seems as if I am in the minority here, or maybe it is simply that the naysayers are the only ones to comment, but I personally thoroughly enjoyed both episodes and am looking forward to the next one. Far more interesting and realistic than the namby pamby sugary sweet Paradise.
Normally I like the Victorian Era Things and I like the Jack the Ripper Films, don't know why I'm not into this Series as I liked the trailers I saw.........Weird lol.
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2013, 10:19 PM

I have watched both. Still not to sure about it.
Was the leader of the gang in last Sundays, Marlon's brother out of Emmerdale.
Roma
New Member!
Wales
Roma is female 

17-01-2013, 11:45 AM

Dark, dismal and dangerous is the way I imagine life in the Victorian age to be and this programme rings true. I also, however, think it has been done to death, watched the 1st and the 3rd as we had recorded the series but somehow or other my dear OH deleted the 2nd??!!
Not that I lost any sleep over the deletion!!
Prefer to watch Mr Selfridge on t'other side!!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top