Join for free
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2013, 12:30 PM

Pan's Labyrinth

Pan's Labyrinth

I was sorting out some disks yesterday and came across this one.

If you ever get an opportunity to view this film I hope you will enjoy this amazing story?

Pan's Labyrinth is a fanciful and chilling story set against the backdrop of a fascist regime in 1944 rural Spain.

The film centers on Ofelia, a lonely and dreamy child living with her mother and adoptive father;
a military officer tasked with locating rebels in the immediate area.

In her loneliness, Ofelia creates a world filled with fantastical creatures and secret destinies.

Pan's Labyrinth is a fantasy film written and directed by the famous Mexican filmmaker Guillermo del Toro.

Composer Javier Navarrete built the entire soundtrack for Guillermo del Toro's fable around a simple lullaby.

Navarrete fills each cavernous space with wonder, relying on harp, choirs, and deep strings to mirror a young girl's descent into fantasy amidst a world intent on tearing itself apart all of which permeates around Del Toro's masterful fairy tale.

If you do not understand Spanish you will need to obtain a DVD copy with English Subtitles.
Short Clip
www.tinyurl.com/d3ewc88
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2013, 12:50 PM

Re: Pan's Labyrinth

Michael I found this a riveting film which haunted me for days after watching it . It is certainly in my top 10 films.

I watched it the day after having Millie spayed when in order to prevent her from jumping about too much I sat on the floor on a cushion and we snugged up together.
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2013, 09:27 PM

If you like the work of Guillermo del Toro these two are also available on DVD.

The Devil's Backbone (2001)

The Orphanage (2009)

His latest offering is called 'Mama' which I am hoping to see very soon.

It is a supernatural thriller that tells the haunting tale of two little girls who disappeared into the woods the day that their parents were killed.

When they are rescued years later and begin a new life, they find that someone or something still wants to come tuck them in at night.

Five years ago, sisters Victoria and Lilly vanished from their suburban neighborhood without a trace.

Since then, their Uncle Lucas (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) and his girlfriend, Annabel (Jessica Chastain), have been madly searching for them.

But when, incredibly, the kids are found alive in a decrepit cabin, the couple wonders if the girls are the only guests they have welcomed into their home.

As Annabel tries to introduce the children to a normal life, she grows convinced of an evil presence in their house.

Are the sisters experiencing traumatic stress, or is a ghost coming to visit them?

How did the broken girls survive those years all alone?

As she answers these disturbing questions, the new mother will find that the whispers she hears at bedtime are coming from the lips of a deadly presence.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2013, 09:41 PM

Hi Michael I have seen The Devil's Backbone and The Orphanage but don't think they compare with Labyrinth.

I will keep an eye out for Mama
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2013, 10:37 PM

I have seen Labyrinth and enjoyed it very much. I've watched it a couple of times and found it easier to watch second time round, mainly because my Spanish had improved somewhat I think.
Michael
Near London,UK

27-02-2013, 11:23 AM

We visited our local Vue Cinema Complex yesterday as they were screening 'Mama'

It is a Horror Movie with a 15 rating.

It was a good story line and the two girls were amazing.

Pan's Labyrinth was a one off and I guess it will be difficult to surpass.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top