Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2013, 02:07 PM

Re: puzzler for you all

Seen a couple of 'modern' westerns on TV - had to switch off - 'too' GRIM One in particular, we like is 'Silverado' try to catch that if it comes on again....
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2013, 03:01 PM

Another swoon for Manilito.

I don't think they do westerns anymore because they're not PC i.e cowboys and "indians"!!

I suspect the Americans are somewhat embarrassed at their history regards the native Americans and don't like to use it for entertainment.

Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat ->
Oh yes, Manilito, I had a crush on him too.

I think I watched every episode of Bonanza, High Chapperall and the The Big Valley.

Used to love all the Westerns - Laramie, Wagon Train etc.

Wonder why we don't see Westerns any more?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2013, 03:30 PM

Our fav westerns are - The Big Country - Gregory Peck
Last train to Gunhill - Kirk Douglas
The Cowboys - John wayne - he 'has' to hire young 'boys' to go with him on the cattle drive... fabulous movie....
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2013, 04:07 PM

Oh dear the film industry would have a fit if an adult male had to hire "young boys" to go with him!!! Times have certainly changed haven't they.

I was never a great western fan - I don't know whether you caught True Grit recently, a Coen Brothers production with Jeff Bridges it really was very good.

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Our fav westerns are - The Big Country - Gregory Peck
Last train to Gunhill - Kirk Douglas
The Cowboys - John wayne - he 'has' to hire young 'boys' to go with him on the cattle drive... fabulous movie....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

07-04-2013, 04:11 PM

I think you're wrong there Sandy - Right up their street in todays film industry - back then it was all above board - great movie, he became Dad to the kids....
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2013, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
YES it was the High Chapparal. I remember watching it week after week - I seem to recall it was televised on a Sunday afternoon and yes Julie1962, Manilito was my first ever crush and yes he still makes my heart flutter when I see him in that picture - mind you he did spend a suspiciously amount of time alone in the desert with his horse! I was easily pleased in those days as I also loved Bluey - John Snr's son. It was ahead of its time really in that rather unconventional household!

I remember poor beautiful Victoria too - she used to glide around the house in her long skirt with trays of food and jugs of stuff to feed and water the men but never seemed to eat or drink anything herself.

I might try and seek out an old copy online to watch.
There you go Baxter, your wish is my command.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2E7F3B72A5B69124
Baxter8
Somerset

07-04-2013, 05:25 PM

OMG it is absolutely wonderful - there's Blue sauntering through the dusty desert with a pretty young damsel in a pristine blue dress, her hair is all bouffed and yet Blue is all oily and sweaty - that was a time when men were men and women pushed pushchairs to prove it! just kidding!

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
There you go Baxter, your wish is my command.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2E7F3B72A5B69124
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2013, 05:49 PM

I remember it well because I had a secondhand 'Mono' record player at the time, cost me a 'Buck' or two.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

07-04-2013, 05:54 PM

Is it 'port' yer drinkin Jem..... What is it you remember on yer old record player......
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2013, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Is it 'port' yer drinkin Jem..... What is it you remember on yer old record player......
Sandeman's Port Pats, I love a few glasses of it when I'm relaxing, not fond of spirits at all.

Yes the old record player I had was Mono sound only, the better ones had the new stereo sound, the Mexican chap in the High Chapparal Manilito was called Mono by his Uncle Buck and that connected me to the old record player.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top