Join for free
Page 34 of 36 « First < 24 32 33 34 35 36 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 10:42 PM

Re: Energy: SMART Meters

If you really want to save electricity, hang your washing out on a washing line and wash your pots in the sink by hand....simples!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Using a gas hob to boil a kettle would be cheaper than an electric kettle Annie, because gas is about half the price of electric. But only filling your electric kettle with just the right amount of water that you need will considerably reduce the amount of electricity that it takes to boil the water.

With the new LED light bulbs, leaving the lights on in each room you are going to visit would use very little electricity. In fact, in some cases you would use more electricity if you keep turning lights on and off....Some lights use more power to warm up initially before dropping to a more economic level once warm.
Crikey, life is terribly complicated these days! But what's the difference between led and regular energy saving bulbs? Because I think they are all the latter.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I’ve also noticed our three main kitchen appliances, dishwasher,washing machine and dryer, all have delayed starts so you can set them to come on at any time, so, when variable billing does come out, we can all do our laundry during the early hours, that’ll show these energy companies, they’ll never cotton onto that...
I would not do that anyway, Primus, it is a fire risk !
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 10:52 PM

If you really want to save electricity, hang your washing out on a washing line and wash your pots in the sink by hand....simples!
I already do that, Foxy, nothing nicer than the smell of clothes dried outdoors.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 10:53 PM

I do hang the washing out when it's sunny. Or indoors when not. No tumble dryers here! But you can forget washing pots in the sink though....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

30-09-2018, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Crikey, life is terribly complicated these days! But what's the difference between led and regular energy saving bulbs? Because I think they are all the latter.
Regular energy saving bulbs take too long to reach a decent light - by the time they do I have forgotten what I wanted them on for anyway. LED bulbs still save energy but light up instantly.

Also some of the regular ones contain mercury - so are difficult to dispose of.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 10:56 PM

How very Council....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

30-09-2018, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Regular energy saving bulbs take too long to reach a decent light - by the time they do I have forgotten what I wanted them on for anyway. LED bulbs still save energy but light up instantly.

Also some of the regular ones contain mercury - so are difficult to dispose of.
So you can't win. I guess candle light is out!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 11:09 PM

I was wondering if there were any forum members on here that actually have smart meters installed? Maybe they have some positive experiences about smart meters that they could share ?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
I was wondering if there were any forum members on here that actually have smart meters installed? Maybe they have some positive experiences about smart meters that they could share ?

I believe Judd said the other day that he'd got one, Rehab, and he is an electrician by trade, so his opinion might be interesting?

Page 34 of 36 « First < 24 32 33 34 35 36 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top