Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2011, 03:42 PM

Say goodbye to IE (Internet Explorer)

Hi Guys, I was looking through our stats to see how many people still use IE6 (Internet Explorer 6) thankfully not that many any more - but I was still surprised to see that 51% of people visiting Over50sForum still use IE (all versions of it)

I know most of that is probably guests, but just in case any of our regular members use IE I am posting this in an attempt to get you to switch to a more standards compliant browser - because all future sites I am (and most other devs are) working on will work best in the modern browsers (hint: remember that site I was on about about raising a million for dog charities - that's one of them - another is the social network ). You will just get a much much much better user experience with a good browser. Not to mention how much more secure they are than IE - some people say using IE is like leaving your front door open!

The two 'best' browsers in terms of adoption of the newest technologies are Google's Chrome and Apple's Safari, and out of the two I recommend Chrome (unless you're a Mac user in which case Safari is a good choice).

Here's why:

Other good choices are Opera and Firefox who are much better than IE, but just lagging a bit behind Chrome and Safari. Either of these browsers will be miles better than IE (esp in terms of security), and so from today we are officially recommending Google Chrome for the three main points above.

You can download it from here:

http://www.google.com/chrome/

You'll have to trust me when I say the sites we're working on will be a squillion times better in it

For anyone wanting to see just what features are supported by which browsers (and why Chrome is leading the way) check out this link: http://html5readiness.com/
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

04-06-2011, 04:16 PM

Re: Say goodbye to IE (Internet Explorer)

Hi Azz,
I predominantly use IE8 as my browser of choice even though I have FF as an alternative.
I have no problem with it and never have with IE of any version back to the very first one.

As far as vulnerability is concerned, all browsers are susceptable to attacks of one sort or another it surely is a question of arming oneself against trouble as much as possible.

The figures published last year would seem to suggest that the Chrome user was the most at risk but I think we have to verify the source to be certain that this is correct.

Interesting topic though, thanks.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2011, 04:52 PM

Hi George,

Out of all the browsers Safari and Chrome are adopting the latest technologies fastest. Followed by Opera and Firefox. Unfortunately IE is lagging way behind - which means you end up with a bit of a crappy web experience, from little things like rounded corners in websites to smooth animation.

Security wise - it's widely acknowledged that IE is one of the worst browsers. Some governments even issued a warning recently Chrome is probably the safest PC browser right now. You are right that no browser is safe - firefox's plugins make it vulnerable for example, but out of the lot with all things considered I would say Chrome is one of, if not the best choice right now - for PC users definitely worth a look - even for die hard IE fans like yourself.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

04-06-2011, 08:41 PM

Just an update to say I added this to the post above:

For anyone wanting to see just what features are supported by which browsers (and why Chrome is leading the way) check out this link: http://html5readiness.com/

MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2011, 10:14 PM

I've been using Chrome for a couple of years now and it has been so much better than IE - easier browsing, less crashes.

Mick
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

04-06-2011, 10:45 PM

Nice one Mick!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2011, 09:41 AM

Hi Azz, I've taken your advice and am now road testing Chrome, but the jury's out at the moment, at least regarding toolbars and page organisation. I can't seem to find the tools I need to sort it out, although in operation it does seem to flit around my sites a lot quicker. I`ll let you know in a few days what I think.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

05-06-2011, 02:01 PM

Good move Barry

If you need customisable/moveable toolbars etc then you might want to check out opera and firefox instead.

I actually use Opera myself - but didn't suggest it as our official recommended browser as it's probably a little too complex for people switching from IE, plus it isn't adopting the latest standards as fast as Chrome. Having said that, I love it! It has all the best features as standard, such as mouse gestures, speed dials etc to get those in firefox you need to install plugins - but I see plugins as a vulnerable point - as you should only install plugins from 'people you trust' - how are you supposed to know whether the plugin author is trustable or not!? Hence why I didn't recommend it. Plus it can get bloated/slow, and again it's not adopting standards as fast as Chrome.

Hope that helps
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

05-06-2011, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I actually use Opera myself - but didn't suggest it as our official recommended browser as it's probably a little too complex for people switching from IE,
Hi AZZ, as you can see I use it as well and have had a few flirtations with it since the late nineties. I don't find it at all complex
Although, it has to be said if I can handle it then most would find it easy.

I really see this as personal preference and being comfortable with what you have. The only thing I am a Die hard fan of is my football club (May the saints help me) and by all means shoot me down for that.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2011, 07:39 PM

Interesting survey about browser security.

IE8 is streets ahead.

http://www.vikitech.com/301/internet...ome-and-safari

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top