Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 04:49 PM

Re: Covid-19: Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine approved for use next week in UK

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Good news indeed, the sooner the better if it helps the country get back to normal.
Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
it will be interesting to see what happens next week!
Quite!

I think the drawback with this vaccine is that it has to be stored at sub zero temperatures, so I doubt we'll be given it at the local surgery...
I rather suspect that we will have to go to a hospital that has the right sort of freezers if we want to have the Pfizer vaccine doses.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 05:02 PM

I think the drawback with this vaccine is that it has to be stored at sub zero temperatures, so I doubt we'll be given it at the local surgery...
I am sure I read somewhere it can be stored in a fridge after thawing for 30 days.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
I am sure I read somewhere it can be stored in a fridge after thawing for 30 days.
Heard on news tonight that it is only 5 or 6 days in a fridge but that should be manageable.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
Heard on news tonight that it is only 5 or 6 days in a fridge but that should be manageable.
Scot I don't think that is the main problem , the vials hold almost a 1000 doses so individual doses are not easy to distribute to small numbers of patients like those in care homes and the vials can't yet be split.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 09:55 PM

I was just talking with my Dad and we are both wondering why if it's an american made vaccine why are the americans not having it yet? How come we are first to get it, scuse my ignorance, I hope someone can tell me x
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 10:15 PM

It's manufactured in Belgium. The development was by Biontech which is a German company. Pfizer is just for the manufacture, marketing and logistics. They get the credit but they didn't develop it.
scot37
Aberdeenshire

02-12-2020, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I was just talking with my Dad and we are both wondering why if it's an american made vaccine why are the americans not having it yet? How come we are first to get it, scuse my ignorance, I hope someone can tell me x
BioNTech are based in Germany and they were working with an input from Pfizer. I think some of the manufacture is in Belguim.
Sorry Annie you beat me to it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 10:21 PM

Biontech have been working on this tech since SARs. They started working on a vaccine back in January which is why they are so far ahead. They just picked up where they left off. As a small research company they couldn't distribute and manufacture worldwide. They needed a big backer. So partnered with pfizer.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 11:59 PM

They said on tonight's news that the most of us will not be offered this for several months yet, maybe next summer even.
That might help the worriers ( like myself) see how others get on first.

Three of the things that bother me at the moment are -

1. The temperature needed for storage. How much leeway is there with this?
I know with food hygiene, fridge and freezer temperatures have to be checked regularly, but if someone's storage facilities are a degree or two out, even for a short time, will that render the vaccine unsafe?

2. Regarding temperature again - is this very cold temperature likely to be more difficult to maintain in surgeries when this winter has passed and the summer heatwaves return?

2. They admit they don't yet know how long this vaccine gives protection for, yet I heard someone on the radio today talking about re-vaccinating every winter.
Call me sceptical if you like, but his sounded more about possible recouping expenditure than a necessity.
Over-vaccination exists. They over-vaccinated domestic pets for many years after all.
I have heard no mention of titre testing to test whether people are still protected before considering re-vaccination.
We don't have to have Polio jabs, or Tetanus jabs every year, do we!

3. Can a human body take a flu shots, covid shots, shingles shots, pneumonia shots - plus those considered necessary for holidaying abroad and so on? This worries me.

4. I have heard talk of not being allowed in certain places unless we provide proof we have been vaccinated . . e.g. pubs. But how far will this go?
Could people lose their employment if they don't want the vaccine, or be refused jobs, or refused health insurance, or refused to board planes . . . . . the list could easily become much more extensive.
So we will be forced into vaccination whether we want it or not.

It will be interesting to see what the future holds.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

03-12-2020, 12:05 AM

Just re storage Mups it won't be unsafe if the freezer fails just ineffective.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top