Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 11:54 AM

Re: The Demise Of The Family Doctor?

Originally Posted by Omah ->
The same situation prevails in our village, too ..... and the doctors aren't particulary interested in individuals, just numbers and throughput .....
If ever there was a time for surveys of patients, followng treatment, this is it.

The surgeries even think that they're doing it now!

(or, at least. when they did the practice).

Publish the results!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Foxy, lt makes you wonder how doctors coped before the appointment system came in.
I remember the days when if you felt ill, you just went to the doctor’s surgery. You sat in the waiting room until it was your turn.
There were no Rottweiler receptionists in those days!
That's true Arty, and if you were too ill to go to the surgery the doctor would come to see you after he had seen all of his patients at 11:00am.... When he made his regular house calls....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Very worrying, isn't it?

When I was on the doorstep, clapping for the NHS, I had yet to learn that some Doctors are not so worthy.

However, the Partner system seems to make the "Business Men", which may be where the flaw is?
Tbh, when I was clapping on the doorstep, in my mind, I was clapping for the over-worked heroic nurses in the hospitals who were putting their lives on the line dealing with Covid; The Doctor's surgery which was boarded up more or less didn't even come into it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 12:23 PM

I remember the proper family doctor up until the early eighties. Not only did they actually see you when you were ill but they knew all your family by name and their medical history..... and that was living in London.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I remember the proper family doctor up until the early eighties. Not only did they actually see you when you were ill but they knew all your family by name and their medical history..... and that was living in London.
Our Family doctor was the same many years ago when I was a child & til I left my Parents home. That was the London area.

Same here for the years from 1973, when we moved here, til I guess the early 90's, then it all changed. They amalgamated several surgeries & all chaos happened, never been the same since.
I blame all the building of houses going on in what was a large village back in the 70's.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 05:46 PM

When I was a child people just went to the doctor’s surgery and sat there until you got an appointment. It was a small corridor with lino flooring and kitchen chairs. There was no receptionist you just sat and waited.

the doctor was responsible for the whole village and knew everyone. He did all the home visits and there was a district nurse who also helped out. I believe they even made up all the prescriptions between themselves as there was no dispensary.If you needed to go to hospital he made all the arrangements.

Several years ago our surgery was taken into a group medical practice in the small town 5 miles away. There are now about 15 doctors, practice nurses, a dispensary, healthcare assistants and a team of receptionists and loads of Managers.

It is quite normal to wait 2 weeks for an appointment. I have had other people’s prescriptions on 3 occasions and it is usually a 10 minute (at least) hanging on the phone to get through.

We had much better service all those years ago.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
When I was a child people just went to the doctor’s surgery and sat there until you got an appointment. It was a small corridor with lino flooring and kitchen chairs. There was no receptionist you just sat and waited.

the doctor was responsible for the whole village and knew everyone. He did all the home visits and there was a district nurse who also helped out. I believe they even made up all the prescriptions between themselves as there was no dispensary.If you needed to go to hospital he made all the arrangements.

Several years ago our surgery was taken into a group medical practice in the small town 5 miles away. There are now about 15 doctors, practice nurses, a dispensary, healthcare assistants and a team of receptionists and loads of Managers.

It is quite normal to wait 2 weeks for an appointment. I have had other people’s prescriptions on 3 occasions and it is usually a 10 minute (at least) hanging on the phone to get through.

We had much better service all those years ago.
We sure did!
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 06:32 PM

Don't blame the doctors for what's gone on, blame the 'entitled' public who want their doctor to be available 24/7, 7 days a week. The government allow more and more people into the country, legal and illegal. These people have to live somewhere and these foreigners also have the same 'entitlement' attitude. Local councils then build more homes in areas that are already struggling to cope for these people to live in with the result of putting more strain on an already overstretched GP. The GP(s) try to see everyone they can whilst still trying to maintain good doctor patient relationship but that stops because patients complain of not being able to get time to see the doctor so the government tell doctors they must reduced their consulting time to 10-15 min per patient. This now backfires because other patients complain that the doctor is not spending enough time dealing with the patients issue(s)

The GP's complain to the local council that they are struggling and need more funding and more doctors to help with the ever increasing population. The council then complain to government and the government say 'tough luck, you can't have any more money, you have to make do with what you've got'. I know where I live in Kent, Kent CC (County Council) have been heavily promoting and advertising for doctors to come and work in Kent, it's been 2 years since this initiative began and they've only managed to attract 2 doctors. Kent needs about 100 doctors right now and that's not with many who are close to retiring.

The Family doctor has resigned itself to the history books because now it's a case of get you in and get you out as quickly as possible.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

19-12-2020, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
Don't blame the doctors for what's gone on, blame the 'entitled' public who want their doctor to be available 24/7, 7 days a week. The government allow more and more people into the country, legal and illegal. These people have to live somewhere and these foreigners also have the same 'entitlement' attitude. Local councils then build more homes in areas that are already struggling to cope for these people to live in with the result of putting more strain on an already overstretched GP. The GP(s) try to see everyone they can whilst still trying to maintain good doctor patient relationship but that stops because patients complain of not being able to get time to see the doctor so the government tell doctors they must reduced their consulting time to 10-15 min per patient. This now backfires because other patients complain that the doctor is not spending enough time dealing with the patients issue(s)

The GP's complain to the local council that they are struggling and need more funding and more doctors to help with the ever increasing population. The council then complain to government and the government say 'tough luck, you can't have any more money, you have to make do with what you've got'. I know where I live in Kent, Kent CC (County Council) have been heavily promoting and advertising for doctors to come and work in Kent, it's been 2 years since this initiative began and they've only managed to attract 2 doctors. Kent needs about 100 doctors right now and that's not with many who are close to retiring.

The Family doctor has resigned itself to the history books because now it's a case of get you in and get you out as quickly as possible.
Similar to what I said, our population has tripled in the years we have been living here. our village has got too big & the surgeries can't cope, we are now a town. Plus the shortage of GP's, several of ours left to work in other areas of the profession. Covid 19 hasn't helped but it started long before this virus.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2020, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Similar to what I said, our population has tripled in the years we have been living here. our village has got too big & the surgeries can't cope, we are now a town. Plus the shortage of GP's, several of ours left to work in other areas of the profession. Covid 19 hasn't helped but it started long before this virus.

What does not help as well is that in the private sector, doctors can earn double, sometimes triple the wage for less hours than what they currently get working for the NHS. I do not blame them for moving onto better things because at the end of the day we all do it. If we find better employment elsewhere, we leave the current employer.

You've got many in public service, civil servants, MP's, ministers, local councillors, a huge majority of which are on way more money than GP's are and for doing less hours. Why should GP's who are paid by the public purse put up with that. It is the same with doctors and nurses in hospitals. They have been basically begging the government for better money and better working conditions and the government (regardless of who has been in power) has said no. So what happens, the people leave and the government hire in replacements from abroad who are prepared to accept lower wages and the same working conditions.

Nothing will change until people start dying on mass due to not being able to get access to a GP. Kent is already crying out for more GP's but what does the stupid council do? allow more housing development. In 6 towns around where I live, in total, the council has allowed for approx. 30,000 new homes to be built. That is a combination of one bedroom, 2 bedroom flats and the rest 3-4 bedroom houses. How on earth are the GP's supposed to cope??!!. They can't. I am sure what is happening is Kent is happening in many other parts of the country as well. I do feel sorry for GP's because they have got it extremely tough.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top